Why would there be 2 lines into 1 socket?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made a post a few days ago about my dishwasher socket not working.
I bought a non contact voltage pen. When plugged in and plug switched on -voltage was detected.
(Dishwasher still not working.)

I opened up the socket. Checked for loose wires. Unscrewed the wires to find 2 sets of wires jammed into each wire socket within the plug.
I've spent 90 minutes putting back - the wires would never catch and one would come out loose.

I'm scratching my head why anyone would have 2 sets of wires coming into a single socket.

So... it's not a simple case of me trying to replace the socket.

No idea what I should do.

Please see pics below:

BxPXgdm.jpeg

vrTmKJT.jpeg

WxhSKSJ.jpeg

DNV0UyY.jpeg

Thanks

Should I get another single socket and add another socket?

Or can I get a blank socket and wire up and put a blank cover over??

Can I safely tape off one set of wires?

I'm guessing it's a serious bad idea to simply tape over and leave a dangling live wire?

I should have tested both wires for voltage. I don't fancy opening up again just to test. I'd rather get the parts ready and if needed make 2 sockets.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
ring main
Radial
Many reasons why
OK. So not a bodge job.

So it's important the wires stay connected into one socket?
The socket isn't designed to have 2 sets of wires per wiring (just my laymans uneductated opinion!).
Is there an alternative plug where the wires are easier to screw in?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The socket isn't designed to have 2 sets of wires per wiring (just my laymans uneductated opinion!).

If that is the case, then it doesn't meet the relevant standards as BS 1363 requires it to accept 3x2.5mm, or 2x4mm² per terminal

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
If that is the case, then it doesn't meet the relevant standards as BS 1363 requires it to accept 3x2.5mm, or 2x4mm² per terminal
Is it normal to need to jam 2 wires together?

surely there must be an alternative - where each wire gets its own socket and both feed into one place?

i'm no electrician... but this is serious bad design

is there no alternative to the socket?

normal just to put the wires into the screw hole - ENSURING the screw is fully open to allow the biggest hole - then PUSH it bare copper cable in
been the same for as many years as i can remember , NOT a PRO , but i have probably fitted 100+ sockets in my time both double and single
In fact only recently fitted 3 single sockets up on a ring main

getting 3 2,5mm can be tricky and I often use long nose pliers to help

Often the wire can be doubled up
see if this helps

they do screwless connecitons in a double socket (wago type)

you could change the pattres and socket to a double if it will fit

I have never used that type of connector[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
  • Thanks
normal just to put the wires into the screw hole - ENSURING the screw is fully open to allow the biggest hole - then PUSH it bare copper cable in
been the same for as many years as i can remember , NOT a PRO , but i have probably fitted 100+ sockets in my time both double and single
In fact only recently fitted 3 single sockets up on a ring main

getting 3 2,5mm can be tricky and I often use long nose pliers to help

Often the wire can be doubled up
see if this helps

That helps loads
Folding over the ends and doubling would make life so much easier

@ETAF
Thanks i went through that video
I think I'll go for this one
In the video the guy mentions about him think that double up and having 2 wires in a socket is a really bad idea - so i'm not the only one thinking the same!

Is it normal to need to jam 2 wires together? ... surely there must be an alternative - where each wire gets its own socket and both feed into one place? ... i'm no electrician... but this is serious bad design ... is there no alternative to the socket?
In the video the guy mentions about him think that double up and having 2 wires in a socket is a really bad idea - so i'm not the only one thinking the same!
Intuitively, I'm inclined to agree with you, but the fact is that hundreds of millions (if not more) sockets like that must have been installed, with no real problems resulting from two or three wires being put into one terminal.

Once upon a time, one could get sockets that had separate terminals for two sets of wires, but (maybe because I haven't looked hard enough!) I don't think I've seen one for decades ...

1724530940428.jpeg

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
having 2 wires in a socket is a really bad idea
You have to have a comsumer unit with an MCB for each and every socket ( or many wires into a few MCBs )

Also the bunches with many cables would need a lot of channelling into walls

Deeper pattress,if space permits, and losing some of the grey sheath on the long cable will help.

The "standard" terminals on proprietary sockets have for years been capable of taking 3 x 2.5mm cable as standard minimum, many actually take more than the standard.
My personal preference is to always double over the cable ends if one or two cables total and better still if only one cable then triple or quadruple (quadruple preferred ). The reason - it makes a better mechanical and electrical joint.
In an ideal world, which does not exist, you would have a conductor that exactly fits the terminal to make best electrical contact and aids mechanical contact by preventing spaces .

My favourite make for years allowed fairly simple connection of 3 x 2.5 conductors all doubled without much trouble, more recent years the dimensions altered slightly and although it can be done with extra care and a bit of extra push I often do two doubled and one single, which lends itself to both the doubles if a ring circuit and the spur as a single, makes it easy reference at a glance if altering/testing for fault finding etc.

What I do not like for single strand conductor is twisting them together, yes it often makes the the connection a little more robust initially but but altering /testing for fault finding for example it means you need to untwist them and then each twist/untwist causes a more risk of failure by fracturing and falling off.

The sheating should rest, ideally, just inside the box and a little bit more, then conductor with insulation inside the box for a decent length to make it more manageable for bending out of the way for stress/pullout reasons then adequate bare conductor length for terminal and not much more.
Makes it easier to make a neat tidy correct job (and to separate, if need be, in future). Make the lengths too long, and even more so too short, and it makes the job a pain to do.

anytime you need to waggle a bit retest and retighten if required reduces pull-out risk.
I do find those modern "cage clamps" in terminals rather than the round ones a right pain of a dogs breakfast idea,
Round conductors on two flat plates is not a good idea, it`s like having a square peg in a round hole or vice-versa. Aghhh!

Non stranded conductors I tend to twist together each (7 strands) of the each conductor together separately then, maybe, double accordingly too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back