"Wiggle room" when measuring for fitted kitchens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm guessing that if I measure the length of a wall and think "That's fantastic! A run of cupboards will fit in there to the mm" I'm actually thinking of a way to create grief.

Is there a rule-of-thumb which says don't have your cupboards add up to more than Xmm less than the space, and then plan to scribe a filler panel somewhere once they're all in?

Sponsored Links
Why not get someone to measure up and let them deal with any errors?

Unless you are paying silly, silly money, you will have scribed fillets.

It rather depends if you have "end" panels to accommodate and how square the room is.

That's why using a kitchen company planner makes sense - then you'll have an idea of how the space will look etc

When fitting wall units to the mm I ended up having to remove a section of plaster - the thick sandy cement stuff in a 60s house. as the walls were not square. The experts will help you but with base units I think its easier to get the heights right and then joint them all together and treat them as one when pushing back and fitting left and right.

Sponsored Links
Use a free online kitchen planner, I always try and allow minimum 50mm wiggle room, helps with out of level/ square walls.
Unless you go for handleless doors they need extra room. Also consider which way ALL doors will open.Key to trouble free kitchen fit is to eliminate problems before you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back