Window to frame overlap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When closed, there's very little overlap between the frame and the window frame lip for the bubble gasket to form a seal on.

I've taken some measurements and about 6mm overlap on the outside and about 5mm on the inside.
When closed I can see daylight on the hinge side. I was going to redrill and move the glazing frame over a bit but I have no 'spare' on the lock side.

Is it acceptable practise to get wider gasket which obviously would be proud of the frames?

The windows originally installed when the house was built 2003/04 had flipper gasket but when I replaced some glazing units, I replaced the gasket with bubble type.

full

full

full

full

Sponsored Links
Ars you sure it's not a failing set of hinges causing you to see daylight on the hinge side?
I'd say not because I fitted new hinges when fitting the bubble gasket. I can move the window frames about 2mm further to the hinge side to make the hinge and lock side overlaps the same.

I'm thinking of fitting some R5019X gasket which is wider than the bubble gasket I fitted.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If you can see daylight after fitting hinges then they are slightly in the wrong position and the casement is too far over towards the handle side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back