Wireless thermostat for electric radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you buy wireless thermostats that control electric radiators as follows:

1. Thermostat is battery operated and sends wireless signal to multiple radiators.
2. Wireless receiver at each radiator switches current on/off.
3. One thermostat ideally to control three radiators, two in lounge and one in bedroom next door.
4. No wired connection from thermostat to radiators.
5. Radiators will be Milano Windsor: 1 x 1000W, 2 x 800W.

Is such a system possible?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well, Alexa can have indoor temperature sensors. You can also add plug-in smart switches, controlled by Alexa, although would be a bit wary, of their ability to switch a high load, frequently.

Thanks for the reply. I have no experience of Alexa.

I've added radiator wattages to my first post. The three radiators replace night storage heaters, which have two fused spurs as they were also "daytime" electric heaters.

You can get smart [ie, remote controlled] non-plug-in switches [I guess you would just call it a relay]. 1kW doesn't sound like an especially high load. Switches designed for immersion heaters might be more appropriate for higher loads.

Sponsored Links
You can get smart [ie, remote controlled] non-plug-in switches [I guess you would just call it a relay]. 1kW doesn't sound like an especially high load. Switches designed for immersion heaters might be more appropriate for higher loads.
Thanks, could you please post a link to one of these smart switches? Would it fit in a standard backbox between the fused spur and the radiator? I'm replacing plastic faceplates with brass ones which might block the wireless signal.

I would say that a metal backbox with a close fitting metal lid is going make a pretty effective Faraday cage :(

29 x 35 x 16cm, can switch 2kW AC.
1722189287917.png

You need to control it with something though, like Home Assistant. Shelly has their own cloud thing and they probably have temperature sensors as well.
I am sure there devices like this from many other manufacturers.

There are loads of options, simple is
1722191196941.png
so you can program each radiator. Units like this
1722192840820.png
need mounting in a plastic box, I asked Google Nest Mini for temperature, and it listed out temperatures in each room with a Wi-Fi TRV, but not sure if it has a built-in sensor.

This
1722193160157.png
seems also an easy method, I would go for plug in, as have had smart sockets fail, if an adaptor easy to swap and get up and running again.

The problem with all smart devices is it seems you need to buy them to find out what they will do, the problem is some bits done in the device, some in the hub, some in your phone, some with Alexa or Nest Mini's so what it will do depends on the interconnecting devices, so because my Nest mini can do something, does not mean it is being done by the Nest Mini, the Google Home app collects all I have together, to allow them it interacts with each other.

So, unless lucky enough to find someone already doing what you want, hard to say if it will work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back