Wiring a new Induction Hob to existing wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a new Samsung induction hob which has 2 lives and 2 neutrals. The existing wiring to the standard electric hob has 3 lives and 3 neutrals in 3 sets of wires joined together (3 cables taped together with the 3 neutrals twisted together from each to form a single neutral).

I can't access the other ends of the wires, so my idea is to buy a 45amp connection box and plug the 3 neutrals / 3 lives of the existing wires into one side and the 2 lives / 2 neutrals from the hob lead into the other.

Also, any links or suggestions for an appropriate connection box for this would be very helpful.

Will this be ok or do I only use 2 lives and 2 neutrals from the existing wiring?

Thanks

new-hob-wires.jpg
existing-hob-wires.jpg
old-unit.jpgnew-unit.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That existing cabling is a right mess. Where does it come from/connect to?

Is it a dedicated circuit?

Thanks for the reply.
I’ve only just moved in to the flat. It goes behind loads of kitchen units and presumably joins up with the electric cooker, then goes up behind the wall into a cooker on/off wall switch with a socket. Probably from the 1980’s but really can’t afford to rip out half the kitchen to get it all rewired, I presume it’s been working ok for a long time, so really hope I can use these wires.

Last edited:
Your oven has been designed to either deal with different numbers of phases, the electrical wiring instruction that come with the appliance show how to wire yours to single phase.

Follow the diagram.

Sponsored Links
Your oven has been designed to either deal with different numbers of phases, the electrical wiring instruction that come with the appliance show how to wire yours to single phase.

Follow the diagram

This is beyond my knowledge, if I hire an electrician, will they be able to use the existing wires to connect to my new induction hob?

I’ve just fitted a Neff induction hob to my kitchen when I was doing a refit. Like yours, my new hob had a cable supplied with the hob with 5 wires too - two lives, two neutrals and an earth. I already had a 45amp cooker control unit fed by a 6mm cable going to my old oven which is where I was fitting the hob (new ovens are now in a different location with their own dedicated circuit) so I used that. I just connected the two lives going to the hob to the live in and did the same with the neutral. It’s working fine. It looks to me that someone has used 3 x 2.5mm cables instead of 1 x 6mm cable (possibly for cost reasons). I don’t know if that’s safe but you now have a 7.5mm feed and it’s obviously been working. Are they going to their own breaker in the consumer unit? My 6mm cable goes to its own 50amp breaker. If it was me, I’d do as you propose and get a 45amp cooker switch and connect it up via that, the same as I did with the 6mm cable - 3 x 2.5mm lives into the Live in, 3 x 2.5mm neutrals into the Neutral in and the same with the earth. Then connect the cable supplied with the hob to the corresponding outputs. I must say, I’m not an electrician so I expect I’m going to get a telling off from the electricians on here!

This is what I used as it was already there but I imagine any 45amp cooker control would do the job.

IMG_6515.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve just fitted a Neff induction hob to my kitchen when I was doing a refit. Like yours, my new hob had a cable supplied with the hob with 5 wires too - two lives, two neutrals and an earth. I already had a 45amp cooker control unit fed by a 6mm cable going to my old oven which is where I was fitting the hob (new ovens are now in a different location with their own dedicated circuit) so I used that. I just connected the two lives going to the hob to the live in and did the same with the neutral. It’s working fine. It looks to me that someone has used 3 x 2.5mm cables instead of 1 x 6mm cable (possibly for cost reasons). I don’t know if that’s safe but you now have a 7.5mm feed and it’s obviously been working. Are they going to their own breaker in the consumer unit? My 6mm cable goes to its own 50amp breaker. If it was me, I’d do as you propose and get a 45amp cooker switch and connect it up via that, the same as I did with the 6mm cable - 3 x 2.5mm lives into the Live in, 3 x 2.5mm neutrals into the Neutral in and the same with the earth. Then connect the cable supplied with the hob to the corresponding outputs. I must say, I’m not an electrician so I expect I’m going to get a telling off from the electricians on here!

This is what I used as it was already there but I imagine any 45amp cooker control would do the job.

View attachment 345867
That sounds good to me, I think the Phase thing is confusing me. As you suggest I reckon they used 3 cables because they had them handy rather than purchase a new thicker one. I'll try it and see. The kitchen has very budget units and is a bit shoddy, so it makes perfect sense

It looks to me that someone has used 3 x 2.5mm cables instead of 1 x 6mm cable
Wired in parallel. It could have been that the person whoever wired that only had 2.5mm with him. The CPC gets oversized in this configuration but its no biggie. The OP should be wiring the oven as usual (single phase as stated in the instructions.) CPC will also need sleeving.

Last edited:
That sounds good to me, I think the Phase thing is confusing me. As you suggest I reckon they used 3 cables because they had them handy rather than purchase a new thicker one. I'll try it and see. The kitchen has very budget units and is a bit shoddy, so it makes perfect sense
How did you get on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back