Wiring a two-gang three-way intermediate switch as a two-gang two-way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, by mistake, I bought an intermediate two-gang three-way switch each switch has 2 x L1 and 2 x L2 terminals with no Com – one of the L2s has INT on it) to replace a two-way switch which has L1, L2 and Com. From looking online, it seems I can wire an intermediate switch as a two-way but I can't work out how to do it. Here's how it was wired up in the old switch.

Does anyone know if I can wire this into an intermeidate switch? If so, how? Thank you!

IMG_1026.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Does it matter if one of the L2s says INT on it?

And when it says bottom two terminals, it is referring to the two L2 terminals at the bottom? (That’s what i have).

Shouldn't matter.

Firstly, DO NOT MIX THE WIRES UP.
TAKE CLEAR PHOTOS AND MAKE CLEAR DRAWINGS.

Use bits of coloured tape or use a sharpie on (some of) the wires.

Basically, whatever is in the two COM terminals on the old switch need to go in top L1 terminals of the new switch.
And then then put whatever is L1 on the old into one of the bottom terminals on the new.
And then put whatever is L2 on the old into remaining bottom terminal of new.

It doesn't make much difference which round you do the bottom terminals on each individual switch on the new switch plate.

If, when you've done it, you find some switches appear to work upside down, and it's annoying you - just swap the two bottom connections over on the offending switch.

EDIT, by the way, in case I didn't mention it, DO NOT mix the wires up.

Sponsored Links
Thank you! I did have the sense to mark the wires beforehand. However in previous configurations I wired it wrong so hopefully I haven’t caused any damage.
IMG_1029.jpeg

Amazing. Worked like a charm. Thank you. Spent hours trying to get this work before I had the sense to ask for help.

Forgot to add - if the new switch plate is metal, you will need to run a new short piece of earth wire from the earth block to the earth terminal on the faceplate.

(I see it wasn't done before.)

Just to say - we don't have three-way switches in the U.K.; they are two-way.

They call two-way switches three-way in the U.S.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back