Wiring an external PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am replacing a very old external light with PIR sensor.

The wiring from my house has 4 wires - black, brown, blue and yellow
The new light has 3 wires - brown, blue and yellow.

What terminal block configuration should I use to connect the new light to my existing wiring.

Have attached pictures of the old sensor attached with terminal block and also the wiring for the new sensor

Attachments

• IMG_20240727_153759.jpg
    IMG_20240727_153759.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20240727_154958.jpg
    IMG_20240727_154958.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Looking at your wire coming out of the house you probably have permanent live, switch live, neutral and earth , which with your old light gave you the ability to over ride the pir.

Your new light has no way to override the pir

Looking at your wire coming out of the house you probably have permanent live, switch live, neutral and earth , which with your old light gave you the ability to over ride the pir.

Your new light has no way to override the pir
Oh no! What are my options.? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
blue to blue, green/yellow to green/yellow and brown (of light) to which ever wire is controlled by the switch (most likely black but not for certain)
So is brown of supply left dangling? Sorry for stupid questions!

So is brown of supply left dangling? Sorry for stupid questions!
Well left unused and protected with a device of some sort, such as a spare terminal - piece of choc block etc.

Buy a light with a seperate PIR ?

Seems a shame when the new light already has a PIR...

The real "point" is that (mostly) the PIR fails before the rest of the Light Fitting.
Replacing the PIR is usually cheaper than replacing an entire fitting - unless the "fitting" is so cheap that it should not have been purchased in the first place!

In addition, the PIR can be placed in a position where it works best and the Luminaire can be placed where the light is needed.
Also, two or more separate PIR sensors can be wired to control the same (set of) light(s) - (Say - Entrance, Pathway, Front Door !)

Light and PIR.jpg
Here is a "situation" where the PIR Sensor on the Left is pointing "down" the driveway (and, [also] "sensing" movement on the Left),
but
the "Light" on the Right is pointing across the driveway - towards the path leading to the Front Door.
(The CCTV Camera in the centre, is pointing "Down" the driveway, but slightly to the Left.)
At the "Front Door" there is another PIR Sensor (in parallel) "monitoring" the same pair of Luminaires - the other one being at the Front Door.

Hence, any "visitor" triggers both Luminaires when approaching on the driveway, walking to the Front Door
and
the visitors presence at the Front Door maintains both Luminaires - with the CCTV Cameras at the two locations monitoring the "visitors" activities - in "illuminated" colour - (instead of "monochrome", derived from infra-red illumination).

The real "point" is that (mostly) the PIR fails before the rest of the Light Fitting.
Replacing the PIR is usually cheaper than replacing an entire fitting - unless the "fitting" is so cheap that it should not have been purchased in the first place!

In addition, the PIR can be placed in a position where it works best and the Luminaire can be placed where the light is needed.
Also, two or more separate PIR sensors can be wired to control the same (set of) light(s) - (Say - Entrance, Pathway, Front Door !)

The fittings with built-on/attached PIR's also, to my eyes, look so very ugly. I bought a 20w fitting, a couple of years ago, frm Lidl where the PIR is built-into the fitting - much neater, and the fitting looks very similar to an over-sized iphone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back