Wiring for hob

RJA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a radial curcuit for an electric hob using 6mm cable. The cable must be hidden behind already installed kitchen units (floor mounted).
It will be impossible to chase the cable into the wall and not much easier to attach it with any other fixing.
1. Can I just lay the cable on the concrete floor (for about 5m) before I
take it up the wall?
2. Can I mount the fused outlet/switch on the inside a kitchen cupboard to
save me chasing it up the wall and behind tiling?

Sponsored Links
RJA said:
take it up the wall?

so what do yu do when the units get removed? you should do it properly first time

RJA said:

chase the wall. the switch should be accessable. wouldnt want to have to be lookin round for the switch whilst its got a fault and sparking and causing a fire

Thank you for your reply, though it is neither constructive or helpful. The intended circuit is new, and needed as I am changing fom gas to electricity, so you see that this is in fact, "the first time".

I needed advice not supercilious arrogance.

I will take your counsel if it is intended to support, otherwise, thanks but no thanks!

If you don't want an answer why ask the question?

RJA said:
take it up the wall?
Should be 'I'm going to lay it in concrete even if you give a good reason why not to' (because it will be an arse when you get it removed, and it should be done correctly the first time.)
RJA said:
Should be ' I'm going to hide the switch in the cupboard even if you point out it could present a saftey issue.

What advice did you want?

Sponsored Links
he said on not in

i presume he means just leaving it sitting on the floor under cupboards i can't see this being a problem provided nothing is being moved around under there (if you can it may be an idea to clip it to the back wall for neatness though).

To PLUGWASH: Thanks for your advice. I hoped for some confirmation like yours, since letting the cable rest on the floor, maybe all that I can achive.
RJA

RJA said:
Thank you for your reply, though it is neither constructive or helpful. The intended circuit is new, and needed as I am changing fom gas to electricity, so you see that this is in fact, "the first time".

I needed advice not supercilious arrogance.

I will take your counsel if it is intended to support, otherwise, thanks but no thanks!

for your second question i told you it should be accessable incase of an emergency and it needs to be disconnected. so please explain how that is not helpful. do you really want to compimise your safety because you cant be arsed chasing the wall? its people like you what make part P a good idea.

Agree with andrew2022, don't you just wish you'd kept those spare tiles ?
There's only one way to do a job mate and that's properly. Especially as you're talkin' about a hob, major power appliance. Are you sure the 6mm2 will be big enough ?

Trunking over the surface will be fine iso long as placed to reduce to negligable is any risk of mechanical damage, suggest following where the skirting would be if there were no cupboards othewise clipped direct to surface. Check the effect of any enclosure on cable rating though. If you were tempted to bury it though, it would beed to be in metal earthed conduit or simlarly protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back