Wiring for volex dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've an old volex white molded switched dimmer switch with no wiring instructions. It is a 240volt AC 400 watt max unit (BS5518) with a code XM 17086-1 in the plastic. There is also a paper label with 'A TS(superimposed) A' within a diamond and ALJG on it. There are four points numbered 1 through 4. Using a continuity meter I know 1 and 4 are joined through the switch and controlled via the dimmer.

Anyone come across this and if so how should it be wired. The lighting ciruit in the garage is through a consumer unit with RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
My guess is that the switch and the dimmer are electrically separate units.

So that 1 and 4 are the switch part and 2 and 3 are the dimmer part.

Does the dimmer switch "click" at its minimum setting?

Quite honestly, what is the point in bothering as a regular single dimmer costs as little as £4

Sponsored Links
No click, but the continuity of the switch is broken if the dimmer is turned to minimum.

I realise that a new dimmer wouldn't cost much, but I prefer to recycle where possible and same materials going to landfill.

Hi, from memory, try 1 and 3 it does not matter which way round the L and SL are.

It was one of the first dimmers with the facility to switch a fixed load and a variable load with one switch.

As long as you don't put a neutral into it you'll not damage it !

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back