Wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install a new alarm at home but I'm having trouble working out the wiring.

I have 4 PIR sensors (one in each room) and 1x door contact.

My questions are:

Each sensor needs power but there is only one set of terminals at the panel... How do you get them all in the same + and - terminals?

How is tamper best done? Global seems to show series wiring with only two cables left to go in the terminals at the board and using no resistor... Anyone got a different way that won't cause false alarms etc?

Sorry for all the questions, still learning

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I just twist the blacks together and put them in the 0V terminal, similarly in the 12V terminal. I've not had an issue with them fitting.

I do the global tamper.

I wire one cable to each point and bring them back to the panel. Then each tamper loop from each cable is wired in series like you say, so that you end up with one end in one terminal and the other in the other.

I just twist the blacks together and put them in the 0V terminal, similarly in the 12V terminal. I've not had an issue with them fitting.
As Securespark says - I have five pairs into the 12V terminals without problem

Tamper will need terminal strips to connect in series but I soldered mine. Some will probably not like this, but it suits me and I have plenty of slack in the panel in case I need to fault find and remake connections

Sponsored Links
When I am called to systems with wiring faults, 9 times out of 10, they are related to "bird's nests" under carpets. This is where cheap installers run 12 core cable(s) from the panel then connect the individual 4 (if they are really cheap) or 6 core cables to the passives etc., so you end up with a mass of wires under the carpet with the individual cores just twisted together and taped up. If you're lucky, they put a piece of sheathing from the cable over the twisted ends and staple them down to the boards. But usually not, IME.

This means that a year down the line, after being trampled on, the conductors get squashed, connections get ripped apart and short circuits can appear too.

Nightmare for fault-finding. And when customers ask how much it will be to rectify the problems, I quote for ripping it all out and starting afresh, which doesn't go down well...I don't want to adopt someone else's poxy system then become liable for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back