wiring in an electric hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I connect an electric hob which has a 5 terminal block and an earth? :?:

Sponsored Links
With such little information supplied, I can't see how anyone can help you.
You have to input a 'live' a 'neutral' and an 'earth wire. and three into five don't go!
There must be some markings or at least you should be able to follow the output side. It should not be too difficult to identify 'earth' wires or 'neutrals' Have you no wiring diagram with the instructions.
Breezer solves many electrical problems,but will he solve this one?
NO!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry, I thought this would be a standard problem.
I have an electrical connection sheet that has been translated badly from Italian. It has several(5) different choices depending on voltage and phases and I am looking at the 220-240v 3phase choice. This says the following - 1st Phase shunt 1 and 2 terminals, 2nd phase shunt 3 & 4 terminals, 3rd phase to terminal 5. I know where the earth goes, but that still leaves me with a live and a neutral going to three points.

The other choices are 220 - 240 v monophase and 220-240v two phase.
The monophase version indicates terminal 1,2 &3 are shunted for 1st phase and 2nd phase to terminals 4&5, and the two phase version indicates 1st phase to terminals 1,2 and3 and 2nd neutral to shunt 4 and 5 terminals.

Please help or do I need an electrician?

Sponsored Links
unless you live in an industrial premises you want the SINGLE (monophase) 220 - 240 version

3 phase is what factorys have with 415 - 440 v

shunt is their way of saying link, do you have any metal links that come with it?

I think you might need an Italian electrician.
The word 'shunt' I believe means provide with electricity, by linking together.
In the UK the generators have a 3 phase output which is only used by commercial firms,so they would have cables with 3 live wires and 1 neutral.
The distribution to houses would use only 1 of the 3 phases plus a neutral for all roads, but three adjacent roads may all have a different phase.known as single phase.
I'm guessing a bit here but I don't think phase means the same.
Reading the remainder If terminals 1,2 & 3 were linked (shunted) and terminals 4 & 5 were also linked, you would effecively have only two terminals and if neutral went to 4/5 it would leave live going to 1/2/3.and that to me seems to comply.
What I would do before you think of wiring it , is to link the terminals as suggested and with switches in off position use a continuity meter across the two terminal groups, to ensure there is no path for electric.
Then seperately turn each control knob on and then off, proving there is a path. In addition it shouldn't be too difficult to trace where the wires go ,
after all, each single element only has two connections, although some hobs have a element within a element.
Let's see what Breezer makes of it!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He's beat to it I see

Mandate/Breezer, you are absolute Gems - thankyou very much :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back