Wiring Oven which has a 13amp plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My existing built in single oven is connected to a cooker switch using 6mm 40 amp cable a pretty standard setup.

We are planning to replace it with a similar oven, but the new one is hard wired with a 13 amp plug, because it has a maximum output of 3KW.

How would you connect this up please? I am tempted to cut off the 3 pin plug and connect it to the existing cable using a junction box.

Sponsored Links
This could go on for pages, but to start with, what do the manufacturer's instructions say? As it stands, we have no idea of what will happen under fault conditions to the ovens wiring, so unless the instructions give the max supply overload size, we have to consider it is 13 amp. A 13 amp plug needs to be in either free air, or forced air cooling, many ovens cool the carcass they are fitted in, so a 13 amp socket in the carcass will be OK, and this allows easy removal of the oven for maintenance. But if the plug and socket are not in forced or free air, then the plug can overheat. A fused connection unit can dissipate the heat into the wall, so if not in free air, that's a better idea.

But what do the instructions say? We tend to consider 32 amp supplies for cookers as normal, so I would not worry about using the same 32 amp supply for oven and hob, but once one exceeds 32 amps, really need to read the instructions.

When a manufacturer fits a 13 A plug to a device it is not impossible that the design relies on there being fuse in the plug to protect the circuit and does not call for fuses to be fitted in the appliance.

Sponsored Links
When a manufacturer fits a 13 A plug to a device it is not impossible that the design relies on there being fuse in the plug to protect the circuit and does not call for fuses to be fitted in the appliance.
Quite. And I feel that applies to boilers, where it is made quite clear that a 3 amp fuse must be fitted in the FCU or plug.

Not impossible, I suppose - unlikely though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back