Wiring up 3 halogen bulbs to 1 plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having trouble wiring up 3 40W halogen bulbs to work off a plug, no switch involved. I know very little about leccy stuff so struggling big time.

They are connected up in paralell, and connected to a 150VA, 230/12V transformer, I have checked and researched and as far as im concerned this is all properly connected and right. I've got a 3 core flex wire to to transformer and a 13amp plug.

My artistic impression of the setup:

axa0p6O.jpg

The problem is I plug it in and nothing happens..

My main concern is that the transformer only accepts Live and Neutral, and the earth is just left to hand there connected to nothing?

If anyone can explain where an issue might be would be a big help.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
First thing is to check lamps, (bulbs grow in the ground), are rated at 12V and not 230v Check fuse in plug is correct rating, (probably 2 or 3 amp), and that it is a working fuse. i.e. not blown. If all correct you need to know if you are getting a supply out of the transformer. For this you will need a voltage stick or multimeter.

For this you will need a voltage stick or multimeter.

A voltage stick will only indicate that there is 230v present on the line conductor INTO the transformer. It will not show if the neutral is present and it will not show that there is 12v on the output of the transformer.

To test this, you will need a multimeter.

A side from checking the transformer with an approved two pole/probe voltage indicator, you could test continuity of the transformer coil, continuity of the circuit on the secondary side of the circuit and the lamps (bulb) have not blown.
I would also check the fuse within the plug and plug connection, the fuse should be down fused from 13A. This rating would be dictated by the cable/flex side designed for the load.

The other things to check which is most important, is whether you have taken the 240V to the primary side of the transformer!
And that the lamps are rated correctly for the transformer with regards to minimum and maximum load and voltage.

The CPC/earth is sometimes not required on fittings that are marked class II double insulated. You would be looking for this symbol of the fitting

If that is the case, it maybe that the CPC/earth is required if these fittings are ever replaced by ones that do require one, so do not snip them of but terminate safely within a connector prior to the primary side of the transformer, and also connect together the ones at the secondary side.
The terminals for safety reasons would ideally be within an enclosure to prevent accidental contact.
Even though the CPC/earths are not serving a protective purpose, they do become handy when confirm continuity with other conductors of the circuit, so always handy to have them around.

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely a simple transformer but a switched mode power supply these often have min as well as max output so if the bulbs are disconnected then a multimeter will show zero output from the inverter as it will have closed itself down.

Most likely is bad connection on lamp pins in the holder so use a ohmmeter to see if connected.

We all assume you have connected supply to input of inverter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back