wiring

Jok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently built en-suite. Adding new lights-50 watt x 5 spots. Attempting to use existing 13 amp socket in loft. Lights wired in series okay and working well from socket switch.Would like to add separate switch (pull switch) in bathroom but not having much success. Broke into power source between 13 amp socket and first light -used junction box and pull switch - but trips all the time? Inside junction box all red wired together and all black wired together. Obviously doing something wrong - can you help?

Jok

Sponsored Links
NEVER EVER RUN LIGHTS STRAIGHT FROM A RING MAIN OR OTHER CIRCUIT SUPPLYING SOCKETS.

If you wish to do this then you MUST install a spur (FCU) between the socket and the lighting circuit, and the fuse in this unit must be reduced to 3A.

not wishing to be "picky" but your use of the words Lights wired in series and the fact that you said Broke into power source between 13 amp socket and first light -used junction box and pull switch - but trips all the time? shows you do not know what you are doing,(you have good intentions, but it can be fatal / dangerous) also how do we know what size cable you have used, i would recomend you get some one in to look at it.

FWL_Engineer said:
NEVER EVER RUN LIGHTS STRAIGHT FROM A RING MAIN OR OTHER CIRCUIT SUPPLYING SOCKETS.

If you wish to do this then you MUST install a spur (FCU) between the socket and the lighting circuit, and the fuse in this unit must be reduced to 3A.

Many thanks. Should have said that I was only using the socket to test the sytem. I intend to add (by means of a junction box) to the lighting circuit using 1mm square cable. From junction box to lights and pull switch.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
not wishing to be "picky" but your use of the words Lights wired in series and the fact that you said Broke into power source between 13 amp socket and first light -used junction box and pull switch - but trips all the time? shows you do not know what you are doing,(you have good intentions, but it can be fatal / dangerous) also how do we know what size cable you have used, i would recomend you get some one in to look at it.

Sorry if terminology wasn't to your liking but it is not mine and is straight from a wiring book. I should have said that I was only using the socket to test the system before adding junction box to lighting circuit and cabling to lights and dropswitch from the box. Cable used is 1mm square. I was only after advice as to why the sytem 'as was' continued to trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back