Wooden interior supporting wall. Is this okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Hoping to get some advice here.

I'm taking on a renovation project in a bungalow - So no upper floors to worry about.

I have a wall in a bathroom I basically need to move back by 6 inches (and yes I do need to do this, and 6 inches will make a huge difference). Said wall is currently made of brick - The same as every other wall in the house. Sadly, above this wall is one point where two of the ceiling beams cross over. The beams run in parallel with the side wall of the bathroom and the cross over point of the beams is maybe 6 inches from this side wall, and 7 feet from an exterior wall.

What I'm hoping I can do is use wooden joists to create a new supporting wall. There's no actual weight above it i.e. upstairs rooms, furniture, roof supports etc - From what I can see it's literally just this one single point where two beams cross over.

Can anyone see any issues with what I have planned?

Cheers people.

James.

Sponsored Links
As long as the joists still lap where the new wall will be.

Otherwise you'll need to fit a binder in the loft.

Yeah there’s a fair bit of overlap on them to be honest - looks like a good foot or so.

I’m hoping I can get away without binding as that’s something I can’t wrap my head around!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back