Wooden wedges on rafter ends, reduced tile pitch and to fix facias?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1720382718813.png
about the worst drawing ever maybe...
I want the gutter to project as far forward as poss to protect the door from rain. The eaves is just above head height. These wooden wedges in blue were on the rafters of the roof I am re building. They allow for fixing the facia to the wedge and also reduce the pitch of the tile.

I can find a proper name for these?

Are they a bad idea?

Thanks ...

Sponsored Links
Can't work out what you are asking?
They are correct and are a 'good' idea. They enable fixing if a fascia and a gutter, as you say. Without them, how's it all going to work?

View attachment 348322about the worst drawing ever maybe...
I want the gutter to project as far forward as poss to protect the door from rain. The eaves is just above head height. These wooden wedges in blue were on the rafters of the roof I am re building. They allow for fixing the facia to the wedge and also reduce the pitch of the tile.

I can find a proper name for these?

Are they a bad idea?

Thanks ...
I wouldn't sprocket it like that (risk of splitting), rather I'd fix a dedicated rafter extender to the side of the rafter and fix to that. I take it you have considered where the soffit will strike against the house? Are you tiling with plains or pans?

Last edited:
Can't work out what you are asking?
They are correct and are a 'good' idea. They enable fixing if a fascia and a gutter, as you say. Without them, how's it all going to work?
Sorry, yes badly drawn, badly worded. But you get it basically. I did not want to just copy something that was problematic somewhere else..

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't sprocket it like that (risk of splitting), rather I'd fix a dedicated rafter extender to the side of the rafter and fix to that. I take it you have considered where the soffit will strike against the house? Are you tiling with plains or pans?
Thank you. Hadn't even considered cheek to cheek side fixing. Yes much more solid and of course hidden within facia and soffit.

Tiles.. Double Roman tiles I think.

Guessing I would fix two ends pieces and set a string line to locate intermediaries? Like with bricks...

Last edited:
Is that a gallows? Do you need to talk to someone?

Any way, those are tile kickers. Used to allow the fitting of fascia that is deeper than the rafter cut edge, also to show the rainwater ruin off from steeper pitches

Good point.
Is that a gallows? Do you need to talk to someone?

Any way, those are tile kickers. Used to allow the fitting of fascia that is deeper than the rafter cut edge, also to show the rainwater ruin off from steeper pitches
Lol, ..

Tile kickers! Thanks. Now I know the name I feel.more sure about making them..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back