Worcester Greenstar CDi - Eco mode/preheat problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Have a strange one, we had a gas engineer visit our flat yesterday and since then the boiler fan/pump seems to be always running.

Our electricity useage has also increased massively, smart meter showing about 40p by the time we wake up in the morning when usually it would be about that by the time we got home from work when working in office.

Both hot water and heating are set to off, as they were before the visit, eco mode is lit up green so set to on, and despite this something is always humming where it wasn't before, and hot water comes out the taps much quicker than it did before (we're fine with it being like this hence the settings)

Any idea what he could have done? Might he have left something on by accident? He also happened to leave the heating on when he left (and according to landlord also forgot to do something) so my mind is leaning towards that way, but it will be something not controlled by the panel itself as that looks ok.

thanks,
matt

Sponsored Links
I have a worcester boiler which recently had a new pump fitted. After the engineer left, I noticed that the boiler was humming. It was the pump running continuously even when there was no demand for heat or hot water.
I called the engineer and apparently Worcester has introduced a new pump which is not compatible with original PCBs.
A new PCB fixed the problem.
Fortunately they were replaced as an insurance item so no cost to me.
Pity that Worcester did not inform the engineer as it would have avoided a lot of bother.

interesting, thanks Doug. I'm not sure whether anything new was fitted as I wasn't in when he was round, but he's having to come back tomorrow so will ask him if he did then and this possible fix

interesting, thanks Doug. I'm not sure whether anything new was fitted as I wasn't in when he was round, but he's having to come back tomorrow so will ask him if he did then and this possible fix
It should be easy enough to check if the pump is running continuously.

Sponsored Links
update following the boiler man's second visit. He didn't do anything on the first visit, other than put the boiler into service mode, run the tests etc and then unplugged and replugged in the boiler.

today he accepted that the pump was running continuously, but his fixed was to unplug it and replug it in, which seems a bit budget...and doing that fter every hot water use seems even less ideal. not sure what can have changed to the pump to make it not switch off after the usual 1min post hot water useage following a boiler test but that's where i'm at currently

update following the boiler man's second visit. He didn't do anything on the first visit, other than put the boiler into service mode, run the tests etc and then unplugged and replugged in the boiler.

today he accepted that the pump was running continuously, but his fixed was to unplug it and replug it in, which seems a bit budget...and doing that fter every hot water use seems even less ideal. not sure what can have changed to the pump to make it not switch off after the usual 1min post hot water useage following a boiler test but that's where i'm at currently
Did the engineer suggest anything else which may be defective to cause the pump run continuously? Is the boiler insured?

somewhat suggested it would be a problem with the pump, just odd it broke after he did the initial tests the other day. I'm a tenant in a flat so unsure if it's insured, imagine it would be

I would let the landlord know the pump is defective since the engineer called. A permanently running pump will not last long. Better its fixed now before winter creeps in :(

Is weather compensation installed??.

"Why is the pump running constantly on a Greenstar CDi boiler?​

The pumps on the Greenstar CDi range have a permanent live feed to them. If the pump is always running, there are generally 3 causes for this:

1. The speed control wire (purple, white and black) going to the pump is damaged - check continuity and connection.
  2. The boiler has a weather compensating controller fitted (FW100 or Wave smart internet connected controller). The pump will run constantly to monitor the flow temperature and maintain heat curve.
  3. The PCB is faulty and telling the pump to run when it should not be running"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back