Worcestor 28Cdi Heat exchanegr problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My central heating system is nearly 13 yrs old now, worked fine for years, did a lot of DIY in house, including adding a radiator, CH drained down numerous times, over the last 7 years.

In the last 3 years I've had 2 new Heat Exhangers from Worcestor Bosch (called out their engineers).

First was because we had a leak in the Heat Exhanger. Within a year we started getting intermittent hot water which got gradually worse (shower going hot and cold, running a bath would end up with cold water). You could watch the flame going on and off roughly every 2 mins, sometime staying off for quite a while - thermal lockup(?) apparently.

Called in WB again who put in a new HE (paid for) which sorted the situation, but a few months later started getting intermittent hot water again, not as often but it's getting worse again. Would like to get it sorted before winter sets in proper.

The current HE is still under WB warranty. I'm sure they'll balme my CH system but I'll ring them to see what happens.

Either way I'm guessing I need to flush/clean the system. I've read this thread about flushing.

I'm wondering weather just adding a cleaner such as X800 into the system would clean it and solve the issue with the HE, then flush it and possibly add a magnetic cleaner device or do I need to get another new HE (possibly under guarantee from WB)?

any thoughts appreciated,

cheers

neil

Sponsored Links
Which heat exchanger? Not the primary I'm guessing.

Sponsored Links
Hello nick,

no, it's the Direct Hot Water exchanger (Secondary?)

I've finally taken the plunge and fitted a magnaclean and added x800 cleanser. Had the heating on for an hour today, will do another couple of hours tomorrow.

Plan is to drain down and do a poor mans flush on Friday, although the filling loop knob (integrated) has worn and is not turning the valve. Getting a new knob tomorrow but not sure how well it's gonna work on the spindle? (filling loop was changed with the first heat exchanger!)

cheers

neil

Yeh filling loops are gash on these. Easy ish to change though depending on version.

See how you get on with your solution but I would be surprised if it worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back