Workshop Mk2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a decent brick built workshop in my garden (yay)
It's in a really sunny area and deprives us from more sunny usable space (boo)
I have some space down the side of the house to build a new workshop (yay)
But it's a really tight squeeze and has some technical challenges (boo)

I've been digging the site out for about 5 years now, unsure what exactly to do with it and at the moment it's looking like this:
1729151875829.jpeg

Measures about 6x2.8m. This is now ~600mm below original grade and is dense clay.

I want to maximise space, so I'm going single skin and due to a roadway beyond the fence, can't do strip foundations or double skin without bringing the wall further into the garden or eating into internal space. I am literally trying to shave off cm to get this to fit to a full block. And while I'm not planning to heat this at all, I would like to insulate my foundations so the temperature swings aren't as bad.

My current cross sectional plan is:
1729152531582.png

I appreciate this isn't a typical build as it's not a typical site.

The stainless flashing will be custom made to ensure the DPM is protected from termination down to below grade.

My only worry at this point is whether the slab will be strong enough (100mm thick with mesh in centre, 300x350 edge thickening) when situated over the EPS and with the dense block walls around the perimeter. I've found a lot of example foundations that either only have stud walls, or have many more reinforcing bars.

Also, there is an old foundation from an demolished extension that sits 350mm below the top of my formwork in one corner, however the top of the formwork is 100mm above grade on one side, so I'm only 250mm below grade on the lower side (Should say I am WELL below any organic layer and into healthy subgrade all around.

Critique of plans welcome as I've yet to install anything but the formwork frame.

Fubar

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back