wot no screw termnals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone,

I have purchased a couple of ES (E27) light fittings, but there are no screw terminals to connect the cable to! Can anyone tell me what the preferred/recommended/only way of connecting cables to these types of fittings are please?

all help appreciated,

-john

picture of fitting:
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Anyone,

I have purchased a couple of ES (E27) light fittings, but there are no screw terminals to connect the cable to! Can anyone tell me what the preferred/recommended/only way of connecting cables to these types of fittings are please?

all help appreciated,

-john

picture of fitting:
[/img]

Wind up?
If not strip the conductors & push into the holes they're probably clamp terminals not crew terminals. make sure the line conductor goes in the hole connected with the base terminal & the neutral conductor in the other hole.

Sadly not a wind up just IMHO cheap and nasty lights bought in either IKEA or B&Q - as several of my customers have. Push fit terminals - goes against the grain but then they are no different to Wago connectors that we love to use because they are so quick and simple

I hate fitting luminaires that customers have bought without any guidance from myself, but its the cross we have to bear!

Sponsored Links
But they always think they are doing you a favour by saving you going out for the bits. Why do so many fittings that customers buy not have enough room to take a traditional loop in?

So you just spend twice as long fixing cr*p fittings and if you're lucky you can bill them twice as much to make up for missing out on your mark up on materials.

If they are really cr*p fittings I refuse to fit them once I have explained why to the customer - they are usually grateful for the advice.

Firstly many thanks to all who have replied.

I agree that these fittings are cheap n nasty.

Wanna know the real reason I bought these? On a few occasions over the years I have accidentally bought E27 energy saving bulbs instead of the standard bayonet ones (even though I've been doing DIY for decades I still sometimes get caught out by this one!).

So one day I was rumaging through my box of useless ES bubs (having had the dining room ceiling-rose-bayonet bulb pop) and I thought: "I'm never gonna use all these stupid bulbs I may as well chuck 'em". But then I just couldn't bring myself to waste the money so I thought I'd buy a couple of plain E27 light fittings and then I could use these silly bulbs.

But oh no! they can't just have nice standard screw terminals can they? They just come like this with no obvious method of connection. Sure there are holes into which I might be able to push a *tinned* twisted end but they are *really* small and tight. It's not a good photo but the holes visible in the picture are not cable holes - they just seem to be vents.

"just pushing it on" seems like asking for trouble to my mind and certainly I wouldn't be happy having one of those dangling from my dining room ceiling. (The cable entry on the back cover (not pictured) doesnt even have any kind of strain relief).

Is there such a thing as a " standard " light fitting with screw terminals (the kind you dangle bulbs from a ceiling rose) which will take E27 bulbs

Those long life bulbs are getting nearer to the bin...

"long life"... "energy saving..." what was wrong with bayonet anyway? why is this country being flooded with stupid ES fittings these days...!

rant over. sorry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back