Would a stainless steel strip at the back of the worktop help it seal better?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ikea sell a stainless steel trim that goes at the back of the worktop and the wall.
I wondered of anyone has experience of these and of it will help seal it from water behind the sink?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20240815-193428_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240815-193428_Chrome.jpg

It looks OK, bit of a gimmick to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I've never know a good silicone seal to leak and they can look just fine IMO if done properly. And how effective is it anyway, you're merely relying on a bit of rubber being pushed against the worktop/tiles rather than something that's stuck to them.

Blimey, that’s what I’ve used in the past on both kitchens and baths - I didn’t think they still sold them! Personally, I think they look 'orrible.

Sponsored Links
If the flexible rubber strip is not 100% effective, then you are going to end up with moisture behind it, which then cannot easily evaporate, so it will rot or go mouldy.

A silicone bead between 6 and 8mm at 45 degrees will work and look alot more professional than an after market problem solver for nonentity problem.

Thanks for your help, it's a rental property and silicone only lasts so long, they don't tell me it's leaking and then it's new worktop time.
I was thinking this may be belt and braces, which is what I try to go for.

Is the wall tiled?, a strip like that would leak at every grout line.

I was thinking the same thing. The silicone seal will probably trap some water behind it as it runs in through the grout lines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back