Would it be possible to make an opening like this in the side of my garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a detached garage with "side gables" and doors at each end. I'm thinking about extending it out to the side, and wondering if I can create an opening like pictured. The roof structure is supported by a lintel at each end above the doors, and those lintels rest on the corner pillars.

The total wall length is 5.5m, and the opening would be about 2.4m and 1.1m from the corner. Would a steel lintel and brick piers either side of the opening be sufficient?

Attachments

• 1717684939608.png
    1717684939608.png
    939.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 1717684954207.png
    1717684954207.png
    922.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 1717684962488.png
    1717684962488.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Ask a structural engineer and architect

Ask a structural engineer and architect
It's a garage. The new opening has a triangle of bricks above it. I'm sure the the answer is yes as far as the opening is concerned. I'm no structural engineer, but I've more concern on two parallel walls with large doors each end - where is the lateral support, opening or not?

It looks like the setting for that famous Buster Keaton stunt in Steamboat Bill Jn where he is standing idly dreaming and doesn't notice when a wall falls on him as he just happens to be standing framed by an open window.

Sponsored Links
It's a garage. The new opening has a triangle of bricks above it. I'm sure the the answer is yes as far as the opening is concerned. I'm no structural engineer, but I've more concern on two parallel walls with large doors each end - where is the lateral support, opening or not?
The garage is over 40 years old so clearly not up to current building regs. My question is, if I added an opening in the side, where do I stand in terms of building regs? Do I have to "uplift" the whole building to current regs?

You need to contact the relevant authorities and employ a SC.

You would only apply for permission for the works that require approval. So generally, if you were just forming an opening, you only apply for that, if going a conversion or other controlled works then the opening would be included in that application. And the regulations only apply to the work being applied for, not the whole building.

I'd argue that this type of work to a detached garage is not subject to building regulations.

You would only apply for permission for the works that require approval. So generally, if you were just forming an opening, you only apply for that, if going a conversion or other controlled works then the opening would be included in that application. And the regulations only apply to the work being applied for, not the whole building.

I'd argue that this type of work to a detached garage is not subject to building regulations.

So the ultimate idea is to build a "shed" to the side that is joined to that garage. Currently there's a shed standing there that looks something like this.

1717751086057.png

It has a roof that slopes from front to back, it's very low head hight at the back and the whole thing leaks, so it's slowly rotting away as a result. I want to replace it with something like this:

1717751193844.png

This would be a "garden room" type structure, but it connects to the garage via that opening, allowing me to use it all as one space. The use would still just be a garage/workshop, and there would be no access to the house. The roof of the "garden room" part would join to the roof of my existing house extension, basically just an EPDM roof joined at the eaves so the rain water from the extension runs on to the flat roof.

What are the thoughts on this? I did a bit of research and felt like this falls in to permitted development in terms of sizes and structure, but the two things that are a bit different to normal garden room builds is that it's connected to the garage, and requires that opening, and that it "connects" to the house as part of the structure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back