Would you break off this render? And patio on concrete.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Been doing some more work on the exterior of my house. Ive had areas of water damaged brickwork replaced, stripped horrible thick paint from large sections of wall, had a section of wall professionally repointed, and Ive repointed a section of a wall myself too.

Im now lifting pretty old worn out slabs on my patio near to the house. They are bedded on 20-40mm sharp sand which is on top of an old concrete slab as you can see in the pictures.

Also there is an area of render around the french doors which goes all the way to the ground, bridging the DPC. This is painted with the same horrible thick latexy paint as the wall was, and areas are clearly flaking off due to damp. However the render itself does not appear to be falling off the wall.

So do you think I should break off this render? Ideally I don't want it rendered but the bricks under may be in a state.

And for the patio, do you think its ok to lay a new patio on top of this old concrete slab? The only issue I'll have will be the levels and slope, as the patio appears to slope quite alot more than is required and slopes away from the house and away from the outbuilding to the right.

Here's a before picture before I started any of the work:
9b3Y9PX.jpg

Here's the paint stripped and repaired/repointed walls:

PXL-20241013-164601723.jpg

Here's the rendered section and concrete slab underneath the slabs/sand bedding layer:

PXL-20241014-100153461.jpg

PXL-20241014-100159371.jpg

Sponsored Links
I was told to remove concrete patio before I layed slabs.
I hired a concrete breaker and got at it. Wasn't to bad. Took a day and a half.
Think it's becoming of drainage.

OP,
What a great job you've done in removing the paint without damaging the brickwork - well done.
Why not remove all the paint on the shed etc. and FWIW also knock off all the panels of render below the windows? Removing the render will give you a fresh start for whatever might be next.

Render is off. Red paint underneath now also mostly removed using a 40 grit flap disc. The brickwork here is pretty poor, whoever fitted the french doors did a poor job as it should have been repaired properly when the doors/windows were out.

Repointing tomorrow.

Attachments

• PXL_20241017_115541243.jpg
    PXL_20241017_115541243.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20241017_171955045.jpg
    PXL_20241017_171955045.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 10
Sponsored Links
You can use duck tape on bricks to keep clean in tricky areas. Maybe get something like storm dry brick sealer.
A good job your making of that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back