Yes, I'm A Sad Git

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I checked on our old car because I was interested to see what mileage the next owner had done in the year after we sold it.

MOT expired!

But the odd thing was, come Midnight (IE the start of the day following the last day of MOT, the DVLA page still said "MOT running out" (or whatever it says).

Only later in the morning did it say "MOT expired".

Weird that it didn't show that the MOT had expired as soon as the clock ticked round to Midnight.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, the DVSA / DVLA do some fairly odd things. Although we can log on to see various details like tax and MOT, it seems that they still have quite a lot of stuff that they update manually. We deal with them a lot at work, and things that we do online to register cars, often don't show up until the next morning. It's almost like they have someone manually re-typing the data (or at least checking it)!

Sponsored Links
It probably wasn't tested at midnight.

So, if the MOT is valid for twelve months then it should not run out before the time it was tested on the same date the following year; not the day before.

I had this with my sister's car recently. MOT usually runs out between Christmas and New Year. A really rubbish time to be trying to get another MOT - particularly as it's a 2009 car in a poor state and highly likely to need work to pass each year!

As she's a teaching assistant, we decided to MOT the car during the summer holidays so that it would always be due while she was off (and so that I wouldn't be working on the bloody thing in the freezing cold)!

It failed miserably, as it usually does, and I then I had it in the garage for the best part of a fortnight, while I did the necessary work. During the whole time between failing the MOT and me taking it for its retest, the expiry date on the gov.uk website, was still the 4th of January. It only changed to the 1st of September when it passed the retest.

Ah no, it would be the following September of course.

Yes. So expiry date was 4th Jan 2025, and after it passed the retest, that jumped to 1st of September 2025. The point being that when it failed on the 20th of August 2024, the gov.uk website still showed the expiry date as 4/1/25, right up until the 1st of September, when it passed the retest.

(So basically, failing an MOT before the previous MOT has expired, doesn't "cancel" the old one).

Yes. So expiry date was 4th Jan 2025, and after it passed the retest, that jumped to 1st of September 2025. The point being that when it failed on the 20th of August 2024, the gov.uk website still showed the expiry date as 4/1/25, right up until the 1st of September, when it passed the retest.

(So basically, failing an MOT before the previous MOT has expired, doesn't "cancel" the old one).
Correct.

But continuing to drive a car with a valid mot, but known faults, as detailed in the failed mot would/could still catch you out via C+U regulations

Correct.

But continuing to drive a car with a valid mot, but known faults, as detailed in the failed mot would/could still catch you out via C+U regulations

That's true, and if they ever return to proper road policing, one might even get caught. As we seem to be increasingly reliant on cameras, however, there are probably plenty of unroadworthy vehicles out on our roads.

That's true, and if they ever return to proper road policing, one might even get caught. As we seem to be increasingly reliant on cameras, however, there are probably plenty of unroadworthy vehicles out on our roads.
Don't under estimate how many.

This comes up every time they talk of moving the mot to 2 yearly.

Don't under estimate how many.

This comes up every time they talk of moving the mot to 2 yearly.

Headlights out, rear lights out, for starters.

Id pull every last ++++ with their number plate on the dash, and give 'em a week to get it reattached to the front of the car.

Spotted again? Points and fine, or off to the crushers :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back