It just started blowing the fuse when I switch it off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1715287082070.png

By coincidence there was a metal 3 arm fitting visible in the partially open wheeliebin.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's because you've connected it wrong.

You didn't note the old connections, did you?

Can you afford a multimeter?

That's because you've connected it wrong.

You didn't note the old connections, did you?

Can you afford a multimeter?

1715288321066.png

Sponsored Links
That’s only a voltage indicator, no good as a multimeter.
Correct but completely adequate for resolving the problem in this case.
I didn't bother getting any of these out:
1715290584817.jpeg

The light was about 5ft from this rose which tested as the 1mm² T&E, I suspect the customer had removed the original light fitting and fitted this rose in it's place as a junction box lthough he made no comment tpo that end.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I wonder if they kept the 'spare' earth terminal screw, or if it had fallen out first, which may have helped lead to this predicament?

I wonder if they kept the 'spare' earth terminal screw, or if it had fallen out first, which may have helped lead to this predicament?
I don't know, I took the 'spare' from the loop bar to bring it back into use and of course added some earth sleeve.

Yes I think we could all write a book about what customers tell us and what we suspect the reality to be.

Sometimes they do deliberately attempt to deceive due, often, by embarrassment.
Sometimes they are unaware what a friend or relative has done on their behalf.
Sometimes they have totally whacky beliefs and understandings about how things work.

I can cause not only confusion but a pressing need to giggle when you are attempting to keep a straight face.

Yes I think we could all write a book about what customers tell us and what we suspect the reality to be.

Sometimes they do deliberately attempt to deceive due, often, by embarrassment.
Sometimes they are unaware what a friend or relative has done on their behalf.
Sometimes they have totally whacky beliefs and understandings about how things work.

I can cause not only confusion but a pressing need to giggle when you are attempting to keep a straight face.
In this case it was reported as just started blowing the fuse and when I asked what changes had been made it was a blatant 'Nothing has changed'. the 'remaining' light in the centre of the room looks new and this rose was near the window, I could see a metal fitting in the wheeliebin. So I believe what happend was the new light was fitted in the new position using a piece of red/black T&E and the rose added as a JB, of course I don't know that to be the case but everything pointed that way.

I'd much prefer the truth, it can save so much time and effort.

A couple of years back new furniture being delivered managed to break a switch and the house holder tried to replace it. On arrival I was told the truth so straight away I knew what I was dealing with rather than having to discover it. As it happens this one was very easy to resolve as only 3 cables involved.

Bullet and tongue biting goes with the territory unfortunately.

I'd much prefer the truth, it can save so much time and effort.
Spot on with that comment Sunray, I tend to look two ways in such a situation 1/ take what info the customer says as accurate 2/but bear in mind that it could be wildly inaccurate.

It often comes to light during the solving of the problem the reason why you have not been told the truth, often they are embarrassed to admit they have meddled a bit, but it could save time/expense if they had told you from the outset.

it`s quite refreshing when a customer says at the outset "I think I messed up!" then you find what they intended to do and this can give a strong clue to what they actually did do.
The most annoying ones are those who state that nothing has been changed and it always been like that then you solve it and realise it can`t possibly have always been like that.

A friend was approached by a neighbour "all our electrics have stopped working can you fix it ? "

they forgot to mention the electicity company had disconnected their supply due arrears in paying the bills.
And on that very note in a rental property: "I keep getting shocks" found no meter, the live tail from CU jambed into the cutout fuse position and IIRC neutral and earth on the MET.

Spot on with that comment Sunray, I tend to look two ways in such a situation 1/ take what info the customer says as accurate 2/but bear in mind that it could be wildly inaccurate.

It often comes to light during the solving of the problem the reason why you have not been told the truth, often they are embarrassed to admit they have meddled a bit, but it could save time/expense if they had told you from the outset.

it`s quite refreshing when a customer says at the outset "I think I messed up!" then you find what they intended to do and this can give a strong clue to what they actually did do.
The most annoying ones are those who state that nothing has been changed and it always been like that then you solve it and realise it can`t possibly have always been like that.
I had another where an old boy had damaged a switch with his zimmer frame and tried to replace it but explained that at the outset and I knew before I spoke to them. IIRC it was only a 1G single way.

A customer once asked me to repair her laptop. She said it had simply stopped working. On closer inspection I discovered that the windows directory was missing. I did a repair install and gave it back to me. She then told me that it had frozen and that she had used a pin to press the reset button.

I had to explain to her that laptops do not have a reset button...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back