It just started blowing the fuse when I switch it off.

Someone was on a call for an electric dryer that was not heating. It ran but did not heat properly. The lady there said "If you turn that radio that is plugged in on the bench the dryer with heat". The person thought no way cos they were completely separate circuits. He turned the radio on and the dryer heated. A year later he was there for the washer and asked about the dryer and she said they still use it that way.

Sponsored Links
The person thought no way cos they were completely separate circuits

The supply to the socket for the radio might be fed via a current sensor that operates a contactor that controls the supply to the socket for the dryer.

A similar set up can exist with soldering irons ( the radio ) and fume extractor fans ( the dryer )

The radio must be on and drawing a min amount for the sound output to minimise annoying noise of dryer, yes owt is possible especially when you make your own "Logic Gates" to operate things in the times before all this new fangled WiFi and Blue tooth etc, some of the things done to elimate problems in the past were quite inventive and interesting.
Not really that long since a rocket with people on it touched down on the Moon (unless you read conspiracies) with a computing power of a nowadays cheap calculator in a module shielded by foil about three times as thick as todays used for wrapping jam butties in.
All the tech we have now is absolutely brill but you gotta admire bygone ad-lib inventiveness too.

A few years ago I compared the ingenuity of the Falkirk Wheel against the Victorian/Edwardian Engineers of yore - hats off to both camps says I

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back