Minimum gap between side of banister and other timber components?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3-bed semi. As I make my way down the stairs, I tend to run my hand down the banister, except I have to let go, where the banister crosses with the upper floor level. If I fail to let go for those few inches, my finger joints would gap in the narrowing gap, between banister and floor supported by joists. The banister is absolutely straight, as built - so I am wondering if there is a specified minimum gap for this please?

My roundtuit fix, will be to insert a permanent - small block of wood, just to spring the banister over 1/8"

Sponsored Links
Not a pro, and I may be wrong but

Isn’t it a case of stopping people falling off an open stair compared to a usable handrail all the way up?

When I did my banister, the PO had removed the stair handrail and newel.
As my handrail meets the ceiling of the hall, it halves and goes horizontal for 200mm or so.
I could add a second handrail taking more space on the stairs if needed.
But I don’t feel it’s needed

Isn’t it a case of stopping people falling off an open stair compared to a usable handrail all the way up?

I am told my stairs are steep, I have checked them and they are within regs, but do still find them awkward going down, with my big feet, especially when I am just awake. So I tend to turn my toes, and run my fingers down the rail. A few times, I've managed to jam my fingers on the way down - it seems odd, that should be possible?

No there's not a minimum distance, just how far do you think Building Regs should go? But really what's the deal, just adjust what you have or take your time in the morning? There are thousands (millions) of houses whose regs do not comply and area a potential health hazard.

Sponsored Links
No there's not a minimum distance, just how far do you think Building Regs should go? But really what's the deal, just adjust what you have or take your time in the morning? There are thousands (millions) of houses whose regs do not comply and area a potential health hazard.

I just thought there might be a minimum gap, and so wanted to ensure my adaption matched that minimum. It's done now, just a 1x1 by 2.5" long bit of timber, squeezed between the joist side, and a spindle - no more jammed fingers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back