Mira Advanced Atl tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As mentioned in the post title, my shower keeps tripping out.

Have replaced all the circuit boards, plus the heater element (twice) but still trips the mains.

Water flow isn't great (never has been), but seems ok when commissioning the shower, via the water inlet solenoid. When I then switch on the electric and try to run the 'full heated commission' of the shower, it trips (the water flow at this point seems abysmal.

Only thing that hasn't been changed, which I now know probably should've been the first thing I changed, is the filter. I have a spare filter, but question is, can I swap the filter without turning off the water? The cold water feed from my loft to the shower, via the airing cupboard, doesn't have a stop cock/tap of any kind and I'm pretty sure the mains stop cock in the garage is going to be a pain to turn off....seems pretty seized....

So, any way to change the filter without turning off the water?

Thanks
Dongers

Sponsored Links
Have replaced all the circuit boards, plus the heater element (twice) but still trips the mains.

Usual question - what is actually tripping, MCB, RCB, RCBO???

The filter would not be responsible for any of those tripping.

Consumer unit in garage, breaker.

However had that tested just after Xmas (prior to the issues with the shower, for a separate problem) and according to the electrician, the feed into the bathroom. For the shower was fine.

Have read other posts here, re Mira ATLs, saying the filter and low pressure can cause issues with the showers tripping the electric. And have heard about whacky shower heads (the ones advertised on FB thru Temu) that increase the pressure of your shower cause back pressure and can cause failure of the shower too, wondering if that could be a problem here, due to clogged filter

Thanks

Bung the tank outlet. Is your shower a low pressure model with pump?

Sponsored Links
Never even thought about trying that to be fair.... Will have to have a look to see where the feed goes to in the loft.

No pump, that I'm aware of, pretty sure it's just the pressure of the drop from the loft that feeds it. Hardly a power shower when working...!

How immediately is it tripping and what were the results of the last 2 element swaps?

Take the shower head off and try it again.
The mira ATL is electric should it not be mains fed if not above 0.5bar

How immediately is it tripping and what were the results of the last 2 element swaps?
Tripping is probavly about 1 min into the commission procedure, as the water starts to heat. When cold, the flow isn't that bad, then as the water heats up the flow rate drops and then it trips.

Take the shower head off and try it again.
The mira ATL is electric should it not be mains fed if not above 0.5bar
Tried it with head on and head off.

Head was off for the first heater element swap, on for the second. Can try it again if you think it will help?

Not sure what u mean about the pressure...? Does it need to be below .5 bar or above?

I have recently turned the pressure down on the feed in the kitchen, to the new condensing washer/dryer. It knocks every 10 secs when drying as it opens the inlet. Was doing a double tap kinda knock, but reducing the pressure has reduced it to just one tap. The neighbour was moaning as soon as it started and this was the only thing that seemed to help....

He's saying it should be above .5 bar, you get low pressure electric showers that have an integrated pump for gravity fed colds. If it was working before though I'd want to get to the bottom before replacing. If reducing pressure helped with noise on your washer surely that is mains fed, not from a loft tank e.g. unrelated.

He's saying it should be above .5 bar, you get low pressure electric showers that have an integrated pump for gravity fed colds. If it was working before though I'd want to get to the bottom before replacing. If reducing pressure helped with noise on your washer surely that is mains fed, not from a loft tank e.g. unrelated.
So yes, had been working for as long as owned house(about 5 years). Would occasionally trip, once every 6 months or so, but had got worse over last fewonths to point we are at now where doesn't work at all....

It's quite possible the breaker is faulty from repeated overcurrent. Is there a shower isolator switch fitted? Might be worth having a look in there for evidence of arcing.

Isolator switch as in the pull switch in the bathroom that cuts the electric to the shower, or on the consumer unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back