Nissan Micra 2004

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I've had a problem with my Nissan's steering lock it's stuck in locked position! That aside (incase the problems are related) I've bought some stuff to try help with the steering lock problem but come to my car tonight and it won't unlock!! Tried using the fob (batteries are fine) which would work so I put the key in to unlock the doors and nothing?? It turns in the door lock fine but nothing is happening any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Does your car have a keyless entry system?
I can't see any connection between the door lock and steering column lock but have you managed to get into the car, maybe from the passenger side door or boot?
John :)

It is push button on the door to open or you can use a key in the passenger door but using the key isn't opening it? It turns in the lock but isn't unlocking anything?

I'm afraid I can't add anything to this one as I've no experience with the Nissan system but there is a fair bit of knowledge out there in the Nissan Micra Sport forums and elsewhere on You Tube or whatever.
I'll wish you luck with it, we'd like to hear the outcome and hope it's not to troublesome or expensive.
If you feel you need to lubricate your locks though, never use WD40 or equivalent......graphite treatment is the only way to go.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like 2 different issues.

Door locks and steering lock are not directly related, even if they share the same key.

It feels like there's some of the history or story missing.

So I can't help, but good luck

Full story about a week ago I went to take my son to the doctor's went to the car went to start it and the steering lock wouldn't unlock after a mad dash and Uber ride got back home and took another look at the car still couldn't get it to unlock I have RAC home start so phoned them the RAC guy checked battery and usual problems for it he couldn't get the steering lock to come off said it would need to go to a garage to be looked at proper fast forward a week (I have been out to the car a few times in that week to give the steering a wiggle) I watched a few you tube videos of people offering advice for it many of which the RAC guy did try so I ordered the graphite treatment mentioned above on the day I posted the thread I went to the car with the graphite to try it before I had it towed to a garage and I couldn't get in the car! Pushed the fob light on fob was flashing but car wasn't unlocking pushed buttons on car door car still didn't unlock so changed battery in the fob just incase car still wouldn't unlock so I took the cap off the passenger side door to try manually opening the car the key turns in this lock both way unlock and lock positions fine but the doors are not unlocking I can't get in via the boot as that is a push button as well so as I've said I'm currently locked out of the car and no idea why or how to get in it? Does the key needs remapping or something would that stop it from manually opening the door lock? This is my story so far my problem is my stuff is in the car still that I'd need to retrieve I'm at the point were if I need to remap the keys to get in it and then fix the steering lock problem which I still don't know why it's stuck in locked position maybe the car should be scrapped but it's been a lovely little runner for me and seems a shame. Thanks for reading this far x

Nightmare!
Try researching 'coding my key to my car' or similar on You Tube.
I guess you've tried the spare key?

This is my story so far my problem is my stuff is in the car still that I'd need to retrieve I'm at the point were if I need to remap the keys to get in it and then fix the steering lock problem which I still don't know why it's stuck in locked position maybe the car should be scrapped but it's been a lovely little runner for me and seems a shame.

It all reads, as if you are simply attempting to use a wrong key for the car. Or it's the right key, and wrong car. All the cars I have come across, with a slot for a key, the key slot has mechanical unlocking/ the electronics/remote unlock, works as an option to the mechanical unlock.. So no need for key mapping, except for the remote door unlock.

The ignition/steering lock, is entirely mechanical, the only electronics is the inhibitor system, which prevents the engine starting, unless the correct key is identified by a tiny grain of rice sized chip in the key - nowt to do with mapping. Right key, but wrong 'grain of rice', the engine will crank over, but not start.

My best guess at the moment, given the above, is that the key you are attempting to use is damaged.

Definitely right key right car it only has 1 key so it's gonna be a new key job? Am I right in assuming that will need programming to the car then? Thank you for your help x

The puzzling part is where you say you use the mechanical key (the silver part you push into a hole in/near the door handle) and turn it you cannot get the door to open

Every car I ever owned where the typical way in was "push the button on the fob and the door unlocks electronically" has also had a mechanical backup that still works even if the car battery is completely dead or missing, because inserting the key into the lock and turning it pulls on the lock parts, moving them to unlock the door in the same way the electronics pull on the lock

For you to say you cannot gain access even with a mechanical key mode of operation is quite baffling - it should Just Work if that key is the one for that lock

Definitely right key right car it only has 1 key so it's gonna be a new key job? Am I right in assuming that will need programming to the car then? Thank you for your help x

You may need to extract the original inhibitor chip in the plastic of the key, and transfer it to a new key, to be able to start the car. Separately, the remote door unlocking part of the key, would need to be coded into the car as well.

Your description, doesn't seem to match a faulty key, though.

Totally possible that the key isn't correct for the door lock, either lock having been changed and no key supplied for it.

Locksmith tine , possibly auto electrician I think

Can't remember which car it was I had (definitely not a micra) but you had to turn the key one way in the lock then the other way and hold it for the door to unlock, it used microswitches in the lock activated by the barrel instead of a solely mechanical setup as you'd expect.

Hi guys I've had a guy out today to gain access to the car I've never had to use the key in the door before on the passenger side I've always just used the fob the fob wouldn't work cause the car battery was dead he managed to get the bonnet open to put jump leads on the battery and open the car doors he's checked the passenger side door lock and said it's broke (not connected) to the lock so will need sorting at some point? I'm not savvy enough to understand the problem but from what he's said the passenger door is a whole different problem to the ones it already seems to have ‍♀️ but I have access to inside the car again and ordered a new part for the ignition to fix the steering lock problem if that works brill I'll sort the battery and passenger door once I know the steering lock can finally be released if it doesn't I've decided the car with it's age and problems isn't worth the repairs it will need and will end up being scrapped! Thank you for all your replies and ideas this far you've helped a single mum with not much insight on cars so thanks again xx

Can't remember which car it was I had (definitely not a micra) but you had to turn the key one way in the lock then the other way and hold it for the door to unlock, it used microswitches in the lock activated by the barrel instead of a solely mechanical setup as you'd expect.

My car does that, but only to unlock the passenger doors. Turning the key briefly, just unlocks the driver's door - entirely mechanical.

Sponsored Links
Back