Plasterboard all ripped after removing tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I’ve got the old tiles off but there are a lot of holes where the adhesive has pulled it off. I’m not tiling but would like it ready for a tiler when I get one. So. Do I skim the wall, can it be just tiled over or do I cut out the damaged area and put new plasterboard up. See photos. Area is only 130cm x 60cm
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_8713.jpeg
    IMG_8713.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8712.jpeg
    IMG_8712.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother taking it off and just get a bag of Bonding plaster and skim it up to fill the bad spots and give the tiler a flat surface to work with. Give the Bonding a scratch finish which will help the tile adhesive bond better.

OP,
Is this in a kitchen or a bathroom?
Is the idea to make good the 1300mm x 600mm damaged section & then tile to match?

Sponsored Links
OP,
Is the idea to make good the 1300mm x 600mm damaged section & then tile to match?
It’s a utility room, and yes it will require tiling.

It’s the tiles from the double socket going towards the window.

Attachments

• IMG_8717.jpeg
    IMG_8717.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 20
OP,
Splashbacks are not really wet zones so you can run a sander over the exposed plasterboard, & use any cheap filler to make good any holes or deep gouges.

Use thinset powdered adhesive if you can get a small bag or if not then any other adhesive will do - comb the wall and butter the back of the tiles.

If the original tiles are still intact then soaking them in water for 24 hrs might enable you to scrape them clean & re-use?

Only simple tools are needed to scribe & cut the window ledge shape.
A tile scribe and basic pliers will work - after scribing the tile you can nibble away
with the pliers to form the shape.

Last edited:
Poster #3,
Perhaps you dont know but bathrooms have basins?
The original pics on my monitor did not show evidence of a sink or a basin.

Poster #3,
Perhaps you dont know but bathrooms have basins?
The original pics on my monitor did not show evidence of a sink or a basin.
You are poster #3 - are you still using that knackered monitor . Get Vinn to buy you a new one . Talking to yourself now :rolleyes: and start using apostrophe's - don't be a bell end all your life

OP,

????

How many UK bathrooms have double gang sockets and a kitchen sink?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back