Simple wood floor on top of concrete, for garden room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been converting a detached Victorian greenhouse into a garden room. The floor is fairly rough concrete slab (no damp-proof) with one end suspended and one resting on the ground.
I had planned to paint the floor to start with at least, but I wonder about doing it better.

There isn't really the space to build a suspended floor using joist hangers - and the walls are already panelled (all very DIY ;) ) so my plan was to build a platform (maybe 2x2) fixed into the concrete slab, and then lay flooring on top. Probably put insulation between the 'joists'.

I have used a paintable DPC slurry on the end which suffers damp but am still concerned about laying wood directly on the concrete, even treated external timber. I have seen in old properties the put slates between joists and walls and this made me wonder, could I just put plastic DPM strips under the wood to act as a barrier?

This is not a 'room' as such more a fancy shed - everything I've done has been the first time I did it so there are lots of things wrong I'm sure. All done by me and on a budget.
Given how it currently is, what is least horrible?

Here are a couple of photos to show the core structure, and where I got to with it:

1708431718812.png

1708431768706.png
1708431818985.png

1708431928280.png
1708431981437.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back