staining new pine flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just laid and sanded a white pine floor and am about to stain it. Should I use a wood conditioner. I have used it in the past (but not on floors) and it didn't seem to make any difference. What can I do to make this the perfect job. I have gone to a lot of trouble putting in inlays and I don't want to screw it up with a lousy stain job. Polyurethane after. Any suggestions please. Thanks, Berry

[Edited by Berry on 08-08-2002 at 2:32 AM GMT]

Sponsored Links
no don,t bother with the conditioner.
i stained mine 10 yrs ago with woodstain then poly varnished over that.
be warned this type of floor needs touching up every 12 months or so.
personally i wished i,d just waxed and polished mine with no varnish at all.

I would recomend a water based analine dye as a colour, for ease in application. A 10 coat polyurethane finish is awesome. The refractive index at that thickness as well as the durability is super professional. However urethane yellows so only use it if you want that pine flooring look. If you want your colour to be the highlight use a cat lacquer as it wont yellow. Water base varnish turns bluish over time and has very little depth to it. Wax is great but be prepared for the sliping and sliding .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back