Survey says solid wall may be spanning open ceiling span, sound right to you?

Sponsored Links
Yes I'd say so judging from this photo

1714422301098.png

Incidentally, I have never been able to understand how the wall behind the washing machine is indented but clearly isn't on the plans. Is that any clue?

Sponsored Links
I thought that room was about 5m wide from the look of the photo. Then I remembered how estate agents like their wide-angle lenses and noticed that the washing machine drum is oval!

The stubs shown are actually a representation of the two sides of the chimney. It's very unlikely that the fireplace would have been built into the corner of the room, so IMO it's unlikely there was a wall jutting out from the edge of the fireplace.

If there aren't any cracks or sagging then it's probably fine. But the surveyor is right to be concerned, I'd want to know what's under that wall.

I've read your various threads.

You need to either ignore the recommendations in the survey (in which case why bother with it) or insist the recommended investigations and any remedial works are carried out at the sellers expense - (or the price adjusted to allow for you to do the work), or obtain a "worst case" assessment of all remedial costs and ask for a price adjustment to reflect*.

For a house of that age and type, none of the issues are "showstoppers" or it would be un-mortgageable and in an auction.

*The reality is not generally so simple, the seller will often say the price reflects the condition, they might have other less fussy buyers waiting in the wings etc so often the survey will be used as a negotiating tool to obtain a partial reduction on the price.

While you will receive plenty of good technical advice here, no-one can tell you whether to buy the house or not and at what price.

If Bedroom 3's fireplace is actually on top of that chimney in the kitchen then the drawings are complete rubbish so you shouldn't rely on them to tell you what's on top of what. You'd need to judge in person.

I thought that room was about 5m wide from the look of the photo. Then I remembered how estate agents like their wide-angle lenses and noticed that the washing machine drum is oval!

The stubs shown are actually a representation of the two sides of the chimney. It's very unlikely that the fireplace would have been built into the corner of the room, so IMO it's unlikely there was a wall jutting out from the edge of the fireplace.

If there aren't any cracks or sagging then it's probably fine. But the surveyor is right to be concerned, I'd want to know what's under that wall.

Wow yes that is a really good point and something to look out for in future. Honestly the estate agent on this one has been one of the worst so wouldn't be surprised if they were a bit trigger happy with the wide angle lens!

Yes I think it would have been remiss of him to not point this out as it does seem like it would have a weak point. Interestingly the seller has said the kitchen was remodeled six years ago and so I wonder if they know what was there before. Problem is that asking that will probably upset them more than help (aforementioned EA an arse), but I can but try.

I've read your various threads.

You need to either ignore the recommendations in the survey (in which case why bother with it) or insist the recommended investigations and any remedial works are carried out at the sellers expense - (or the price adjusted to allow for you to do the work), or obtain a "worst case" assessment of all remedial costs and ask for a price adjustment to reflect*.

For a house of that age and type, none of the issues are "showstoppers" or it would be un-mortgageable and in an auction.

*The reality is not generally so simple, the seller will often say the price reflects the condition, they might have other less fussy buyers waiting in the wings etc so often the survey will be used as a negotiating tool to obtain a partial reduction on the price.

While you will receive plenty of good technical advice here, no-one can tell you whether to buy the house or not and at what price.

Thanks cdbe for taking the time to read this through, appreciated. We did carry out the survey with the express purpose of knowing the full extent of a problem with the purlins in the roof and then because the general appearance of the house was shabby. We didn't expect anything back except the purlins and so this has been a bit of an eye opener.

You sum up our options well and we are leaning towards garnering as much info as possible and the costs of any remedial work i.e. worst cases. We will then go back to the seller with a revised offer based on these quotes and take it from there.

So far we have not given any indications to the seller/EA of the exact nature of the structural issues but they are hounding us to get a move on (we have been very slow and deliberate with the sale as we were worried about the roof). I don't believe they have others waiting in the wings as the general cosmetic condition is quite poor and we are quite far along the buying process but you never know.

Thanks again.

Bear in mind that if you demand a discount, however justified you think it is, the seller is perfectly entitled to tell you to clear off, leaving you with a load of fees and no house.

What really matters is whether it's typical condition for its age/period (it probably is), whether it's good value and therefore whether someone else would be likely to pay whatever amount you've agreed.

Buying a house is a dog-eat-dog world. Either party can end the deal at any point until contracts are exchanged, if so then they don't owe you a refund for your costs.

Bear in mind that if you demand a discount, however justified you think it is, the seller is perfectly entitled to tell you to clear off, leaving you with a load of fees and no house.

What really matters is whether it's typical condition for its age/period (it probably is), whether it's good value and therefore whether someone else would be likely to pay whatever amount you've agreed.

Buying a house is a dog-eat-dog world. Either party can end the deal at any point until contracts are exchanged, if so then they don't owe you a refund for your costs.
Absolutely understand this and appreciate we may loose all of our costs so far but at the same time don't want to continue at what is probably an inflated price for the totality of the house, especially in a market where nothing seems to be moving. We're not just playing th game though, we do want it but just not at any cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back