Water fed cutoff saw vs block splitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my block paving job which I’m kinda doing in different stages as I get the time, with 50mm tumbled style pavers, I was originally planning on hiring one of those block splitter guilotine things, at the same time as hiring the whacker. I’m now thinking of treating myself to a cutoff disc cutter saw though, with water feed to manage the dust. A lot of the cuts will be angled rather than square if that makes any difference. Any thoughts on pros and cons of either? Ta.

Sponsored Links
You would probably need a cut off saw for some of the cuts anyway, so just get yourself a saw and not bother keep hiring a block splitter and a cut off saw when needed, you could always sell it on when finished.

Thanks. I’ve actually already got a cutoff saw but the dust is horrific so will need to arrange a water fed version.

Thanks. I’ve actually already got a cutoff saw but the dust is horrific so will need to arrange a water fed version.
Water fed are ok, right up to the point where the water going onto the pavior, makes the mark you just put on it invisible!

Dry cut grinder every time, for that vey reason.

Sponsored Links
Water fed are ok, right up to the point where the water going onto the pavior, makes the mark you just put on it invisible!

Dry cut grinder every time, for that vey reason.
Do you just live with the dust then? Do you not use those block splitter things?

Use a wax crayon marker for wet saws. And make a timber holder for the block - you could even make one with a guide timber for halves.

Guillotines are great for getting only one half out of a full block, and for breaking the corners off angled cuts.

Cheers. Something like a square foot of osb with a couple of parallel 2x2s fixed to it to keep the block in place?
Take it you don’t rate the guillotines then? I won’t bother hiring one

I also found a quick dry score with the grinder before a wet cut did the trick, so a few options. Ive also got one of those titan dust extractors but suspect masonry dust may knacker it

I’ll deffo avoid the block splitter though, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back