What the hell is this under my floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the floorboards up under my stairs today and saw this:

IMG_1526.jpeg

IMG_1525.jpeg

It looks like a drain pipe but there’s nothing near it to use it as a drain. Also looks like a rat or something has made a nest in the past judging by the shredded paper. Any idea's?

Sponsored Links
Have you got suspended floors downstairs? I have a similar pipe that bridges the solid hall floor to connect one suspended floor area to another, presumably for ventilation purposed or to provide a cable or pipe route under the solid hall floor.

Have you got suspended floors downstairs? I have a similar pipe that bridges the solid hall floor to connect one suspended floor area to another, presumably for ventilation purposed or to provide a cable or pipe route under the solid hall floor.
Yeah, all suspended floor downstairs. I don’t think it’s for ventilation as we have air vents all along that wall. It’s where the gas and electricity meters are so possibly used previously for a route in for them in the past.

Thats the typical junk you find under the floorboards. Its obsolete, probably there for a pipe run. Have you got any toilets/showers downstairs? @Mottie

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need someone with a drain camera to have a look.

Andy
It looks like it might be blocked with rubble anyway - I might try shoving my arm down there next time the floor's up. On the other hand, there’s nothing I’m expecting to come up or go down so I might fill it with any plaster or cement I’ve got left over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back