Wonky fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I was bullied by a neighbour into sharing the cost of a new fence on our boundary at the bottom of my garden. He and his family had decided what they wanted and who would do the work, and then presented me with a fait accompli. We needed a new fence, the old wooden posts were rotten and the panels falling apart. I argued, but it got rather unpleasant, they would not budge an inch, and eventually I agreed for peace and quiet. A roughly 10 meter length of fence with concrete posts and wooden panels was installed for £1,000, thus £500 each. They did the same with my next door neighbour, and like me she gave in.

Unfortunately I didn’t pay much attention to the fence at the time, I was just relieved that a new fence was in place, and didn’t want to deal with the neighbours if possible. but I noticed over the years that panels would bang in the wind. I am installing a concrete and brick foundation for a greenhouse, and out of curiosity I checked the concrete posts with a spirit level and I was shocked by how much they were leaning. I went to the end, looked along the fence and saw that some leant into their garden, and some into my garden. Some leant towards or away from each other. No wonder panels were banging in the wind. None of the concrete post fences in our area are like that.

I know this is my fault for not examining the work at the time, but can anything be done to straighten concrete fence posts? I assume not, and the only solution is replacement at considerable expense, which is not on the table.

I normally do fence work myself, but these concrete posts were too heavy to consider doing myself. I did some side posts and panels, and they’re all straight.

Sponsored Links
Nothing you can do other than replace posts.

Fence banging in wind is normal. Wooden wedges helps stop that

Nothing you can do other than replace posts.

Thank you. I’ve discovered that removing the posts from the holes would not be so hard, but they are too heavy to carry away. Oh well.

Last edited:
Where the posts concrete or just had soil backfilled and rammed in?

How deep do the posts go?

If the post holes where only backfilled then it should be possible to take the panels out, dig the posts out, clear the holes and put them back but use prostrate or concrete instead of backfilling with soil.

Sponsored Links
Yes I use a big blob of silicone to do the same thing. Easily pulled out if you need to lift up a panel.
With the wonky posts could he dig around if they are concreted in until they can be pushed straight and then add a lot more postcrete around the old concrete to save pulling them out completely.

Where the posts concrete or just had soil backfilled and rammed in?

How deep do the posts go?

If the post holes where only backfilled then it should be possible to take the panels out, dig the posts out, clear the holes and put them back but use prostrate or concrete instead of backfilling with soil.
I can’t answer your questions. I’ll find out, a few minutes digging should suffice.
Yes I use a big blob of silicone to do the same thing. Easily pulled out if you need to lift up a panel.
With the wonky posts could he dig around if they are concreted in until they can be pushed straight and then add a lot more postcrete around the old concrete to save pulling them out completely.
Yes this would be a solution. A winch and rope would shift one once dug round.

It looks like this might be fixable, albeit hard work. Probably best wait for the neighbour to croak, he’s old, and a reasonable neighbour to move in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back