13mm Copper pipe/fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new galley on my narrowboat. The LPG supply pipework was originally run through the old units after they were installed giving a very untidy appearance. I decided to re-route it using the service area behind the new units. On inspection it appeared to be 12mm pipe. After cutting a section of pipe I found that 12mm fittings would not fit. Measuring the removed pipe carefully it has an outside diameter of 13mm (1/2 inch).
A visit to all my local plumbers and building merchants has failed to come up with a supplier. A search of the internet has also not been successful. Does anyone know where I can get any fittings and a short length of pipe in the UK?

Sponsored Links
What did you use to measure it?

1/2 " = 12.7 mm

are you sure its not oval, (flattened)

I am installing a new galley on my narrowboat. The LPG supply pipework was originally run through the old units after they were installed giving a very untidy appearance. I decided to re-route it using the service area behind the new units. On inspection it appeared to be 12mm pipe. After cutting a section of pipe I found that 12mm fittings would not fit. Measuring the removed pipe carefully it has an outside diameter of 13mm (1/2 inch).
A visit to all my local plumbers and building merchants has failed to come up with a supplier. A search of the internet has also not been successful. Does anyone know where I can get any fittings and a short length of pipe in the UK?

Are you sure it 's not 14mm pipe? I have come accross 14mm once before, but never seen 13mm! I think BES sell some fittings for 14mm so worth a try

It is probably old 3/8" tube if it is .5" diameter.

"Enots" make fittings to suit. I get them from a local "Thorite" branch.

Sponsored Links
For some obscure reason, Boats were, and many still are,gas piped in imperial copper. Your local chandlers should be able to help, but you may find, tocomply with current regs, you may need to increase the diameter to avoid excessive pressure drops during the BSS tests.
Don't forget, all joints must be visible for the examiner!!

Thanks Oilhead... I guess I should have tried a chandlers first rather than domestic/building suppliers. Looking at the Midland Chandlers website they have imperial copper pipe and fittings under their gas section. I'll pay them a visit tomorrow.

Cheaper going to a Fridge Engineers' wholesaler mate.
Just Google it, lots of on-line suppliers...... ;)

Thanks for all replies. Job is now done.
Midland Chandlers have a full range of imperial fittings (1/4" , 3/8", 1/2" etc). They sell copper pipe by the meter so no need to buy long lengths just to replace a short length of damaged pipe. FYI I guess the reason I didn't get a match when I searched the web is they list their copper pipe as copper tube!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back