18mm ply flooring… structural softwood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I can instal my overlay UFH, I either need to lay 6mm ply on top of my Victorian floorboards, or replace the floorboards with plywood (or chipboard, but I’m reluctant to do that!)

I think I’m leaning towards going with 18mm structural ply throughout - it frees up the planks to go elsewhere in the house where the planks are a mess and might want to keep the good ones exposed, plus it reduces the overall buildup height of the floor (planks + 6mm ply + 20mm overlay UFH + final floor covering feels like it’s getting a bit much!)

I’ve found a good price on softwood structural ply (seems a good bit cheaper than hardwood structural ply).

Am I likely to regret going with softwood rather than hardwood?! Are there significant differences in this application?

Thoughts welcome…

Sponsored Links
The best ply for the job will be 2400x600 tongue and groove flooring ply, which is designed for the job.
Makes no odds whether it's hard or soft so spend your money elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back