230v CONSTRUCTION site supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst teaching Electrical Safety in Dubai last year I took the group around a local construction site. Here are a few snaps.

An exposed consumer unit on a site.
Flexes from here went to supply twin 230v sockets on wooden boards and were dragged around the site by their users.
What do you notice about the supply?

Within a switch room. Basic protection granted?

Safe isolation?

Sponsored Links
Construction site

First thing is the incomer appears to be supported by the earth conductor with a lot slack on the live and neutral conductors.

One jerk on the incoming could take out the earth connection and leave live and neutral connected.

Well, look at the colours. Look again at the supply cable.
BTW The cover was not removed to take this picture.

Sponsored Links
The colours do seem a bit strange, but then in the USA black is live and white is neutral. And Germany used to use red for earth.

I can only see three wires in the neutral block yet there appears to be three supplies from the board.

It is a 5c supply cable (on the left). The black loops out of the pic and back into the terminal on the rail. The three (taped) flexes are radials to the twin socket I mentioned above.

So what's wrong?

bottom left and middle?

there looks like there two mains incoming? and the wires are different colours..

MCB's not labelled?
That's probably a good thing.

Like maps, the only thing worse than no labels are wrong ones, and looking at the overall quality of that, what would be the chances of the labels being correct?

Yes. The earth is twisted around the supply cable.
Anything else? :D

Anything to do with the 3ph MCB per chance :idea:

You know how it is here in the middle east. very few standards. Labour is cheap and if a bangladeshi zaps themselves to death, well, there are thousands more on the boat...

I dont agree with the above btw, but as you will know, "Inshallah" rules in this part of the world, so does saving money for polished marble facias instead of safety standards on construction sites.

We have the same issues in aviation as I hear from relatives working in the construction/civil engineering industry.

Yes. The three phase breaker used as a "loop"'for the other site supplies. The busbar is modified to allow for a single line connection.
The earth is not connected.
The neutral is brown.
It was also a normal thing to see whereby the three radials all connected into one 32A cb. I can't remember with this one though.

How would you code it on a periodic inspection? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back