3 gang 1 way switch to 2 gang 1 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

I'm in need of some help. We moved into our new home a few months ago, and in garden is a summer house. I'm making some modifications to it and need to move a light switch. I'm no electrician, but confident in the basic stuff which you would think this falls into, however. The light switch in question is a 4 gang 1 way. Only 2 gangs are used, outdoor flood light and 1x inside ceiling rose light. I believe the previous owners had bigger plans for it but never got round to finishing it.

I want to keep the light switch to continue working as it does, but on a 2 gang light switch, however it's been wired up in a way that I can't figure out.
I believe the main feed from the consumer unit comes straight into the switch (middle wire), the ceiling rose only has 1x twin & earth, and when i disconnect all the wires from the switch, only the middle wire is live.

IMG_1659.JPG IMG_1658 1.jpg

This is how its been wired up. Mains feed, live into gang 2 L1. Indoor light, live into gang 1 L2. Outdoor light, live into gang 3L2. All Neutral (switched live?) into a Wago connector. and 3 Coms connected via 3x live wire linking the 3 together

IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1640.jpg

How can i wire up a 2 gang 1 way switch with this configuration?

would really apricate any help

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
I am confused, I count 6 cables in one picture, but only three brown wires connected, and it seems the centre switch turns both switches either side on/off so centre switch is a master?

This 1720146545456.png is what I would have expected to see, with only two switches being used.

Sorry guys, i should have explained better. How do i swap the old 4 gang switch to a 2 gang switch with the wires available?

IMG_1663.jpg <----- new switch

Attachments

• IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 4
Sponsored Links
The switches are split
1720167343062.png
as shown. So link the two com terminals and correct to line in, and line out from L1's just like the switches 1 and 3 the wire which did go into middle switch as shown before should go in with com's.

you beauty! worked a treat (y).. I almost had it correct before, but had the "middle" live in L2 not COM :oops:.. makes complete sense now you've shown me..
many thanks

you beauty! worked a treat (y).. I almost had it correct before, but had the "middle" live in L2 not COM :oops:.. makes complete sense now you've shown me..
many thanks
I trust you added an earth wire to that brass terminal on the left

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back