45*angle on a potential small extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

45* degree angle guidance - if I was to side extend out here towards my neighbours, how do I need to consider the window on the side circled? It’s obscured glass. Will the 45* rule still apply?
IMG_0782.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The 45° degree rule is not universal that applies everywhere, it depends on the published planning policies of your local planning department. Having said that I have never seen it apply to a side elevation, the house would already breach the 45° rule if it did.

Depending on the use of the room with the window there may be other planning restrictions but I would say that is doubtful, the rules tend to be less onerous for side elevations. There seems to be plenty of room to build an extension and still have a reasonable gap to the boundary.

Thanks for this it’s much appreciated. I didn’t realise it wasn’t applicable to a side elevation so that’s interesting and helpful!

The glass is obscured so I believe it’s a bathroom.
I’ll see if I can find the published planning for my local council.

Generally, glazing on the side of a house (to the principle elevation) should be obscured to protect privacy of neighbours.

Sponsored Links
Generally, glazing on the side of a house (to the principle elevation) should be obscured to protect privacy of neighbours.
So does that mean if we had any glass facing towards the fence, it should be obscured too?

No. That only applies to 1st floor and above. You can have clear glass at ground floor level.
Thank you! I am just in talks with an architect about if it needs to go through permitted or planning. I am keeping hopeful for permitted but apparently joining to a current extension is difficult

Cheers Wessex, Did not know that! Go figure. Not that, it seems, anyone in our area cares about the rule.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back