50mm ducting ?

ban-all-sheds said:
Not allowed, unless the speaker cables have 230V insulation.

Ban, it isn't so critical with SWA as the grounding of the armouring will prevent any inductance in adjacent cables.

Certainly in commercial or Industrial locations you do your best to avoid this, but in his situation it is not critical.

One way around this would be to use FP200 Gold for the speaker cables, high quality copper cores, 300/600V insulation, metal foil screen, that with the right terminations can be grounded to help reduce signal loss.

Sponsored Links
It wasn't EMI that I was worried about - it was the running of Band I and Band II cables in the same enclosure...

ban-all-sheds said:
It wasn't EMI that I was worried about - it was the running of Band I and Band II cables in the same enclosure...

But EMI is the whole reason for the seperation of cables, if there is no EMI caution, then there is no point is seperating the cables, except perhaps mechanical protection from damage to smaller cables by larger mains cables.

As a plumber/heating engineer just a comment regarding the use of water, or similar pipe designed for other services.

YOU know what the pipe contains but consider after house sale new owner wants to make changes. There could be a water supply nearby so new owner turns off water, digs down to pipe and starts cutting having no reason to believe pipe contains live electric cable.

The result I'll leave to your imagination. Can't happen - oh yes it can.

There are plenty of places that supply plastic ducting in various colours so there is NO EXCUSE (apart from the fact yellow gas pipe is often seen on side of the road) for not using the correct one to match accepted standards.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Alan , that is the whole point of putting a warning tape on top the the duct/pipe as per the Electricity Supply Regulations Act.

van dammer professional speaker cable is one possibity
here and select ofc pro speaker cable

the stuff is rated at mains voltage but designed for speaker interconnects

FWL_Engineer said:
ban-all-sheds said:

But EMI is the whole reason for the seperation of cables, if there is no EMI caution, then there is no point is seperating the cables, except perhaps mechanical protection from damage to smaller cables by larger mains cables.
OK - obviously EMI is a concern that the designer needs to address, but I'd always assumed that 528-01-02 and -07 were about the electrical dangers of having ELV and LV cables in close proximity - i.e. in a fault condition your telephone cable or TV coax could end up with 230V on it, and that this might turn out to be a Bad Thing.

Nice to know I can run TV aerial cable in the same trunking as mains - it'll make life a lot easier, and I don't think that 50Hz EMR will bother a TV signal...

Ban, the prima faci reason for the electrical seperation of circuits is EMI, however that is not to say other factors should not be taken into account.

One example does not make it a rule.

Your example is also rather erroneous. SWA and other types of cable are different animals, some will allow the transmission of EMI, others will not, that is why I also suggested the use of FP200 Gold as an alternative cable for the ELV supplies, it is 300/600V rated and has a foil screen to stop EMI.

So does that mean that if by experimentation I find I'm not getting EMI, I can run telephone cable and mains T&E in the same trunking?

ban-all-sheds said:
So does that mean that if by experimentation I find I'm not getting EMI, I can run telephone cable and mains T&E in the same trunking?

Ban, in a domestic situation this is not so critical. It should be done, but not crucual. The fact of the matter is, if both cables were so damaged that current could flow from one to the other, the circuit breaker would operate and disconnect the supply.

I would not, however, recommend running telephone and co-ax in mini-trunking with T&E or flexible cables as they will suffer EMI interference.

The example I gave above is using two types of cable, both screened and both 300/600V rated, so they comply with the Regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back