Advice needed to put a garden gate -getting the post right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just bought a new garden gate that's 1.8m tall and 80cm wide. I want to use it for the side entrance to my house. It's a reasonably heavy gate (link below)

On one side of the opening is a concrete post, on the other is my external house wall. I have a few questions on putting the gate post up:

1. Would a 10mm x 10mm fence post be sufficient? The ground below has a brick neatly cut with a 11cm opening (see pic below).
2. Can I just rest the gate post on the floor and screw it into the brick work?
2a. Should I try concreting it to the floor as well?
3. If it's touching the floor, what's the best way to avoid damp and rot in the post (the previous post had rotted away at the bottom)

I've added a few pictures.

Thanks in advance

side entrance.jpg
floor.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hang the door on the house wall, not the post. The house will take the weight easily and will not lean or shake loose.

The post that you screw to the house need not be as big as 100x100
Choose a size that helps your door fit the gap.

Hook and band hinges are best. Paint them before fitting. Drop two greased stainless washers onto each of the pins before lifting on the gate, this will prevent wear, squeaking and rust.

Put a lintel between the house post and the loose post, to brace them together and reduce risk of the loose one leaning or loosening. You can tack DPC to the top of the posts and lintel to shed rain and prevent rot, or lead if you can afford it.

The house post should not touch the ground, which will cause rot. The house supports it, not the ground. Fit it 100mm above the ground, and use wood preserver on both ends. The person who fitted your previous one obviously knew nothing.

Put a lintel between the house post and the loose post, to brace them together and reduce risk of the loose one leaning or loosening. You can tack DPC to the top of the posts and lintel to shed rain and prevent rot, or lead if you can afford it.
Completely unnecessary here.

I'd rather avoid the lintel - it seems like a lot of work and none of my neighbours have it either for similar fences.

Is it advisable to attach gates directly to the brick wall? Most of my neighbours and even the DIY youtube videos all seem to opt for using a wooden post attached to the wall first.

Lastly, I need to attach a bolt latch end to the concrete post, is this just a matter of using the right drill bit and drilling into the concrete.

Sorry for the amateur questions!!

Sponsored Links
No, I meant attach a wooden post to the wall. But as it will be transmitting the weight to the wall, it need not be a mammoth size

I think my front door is on a frame of about 50x70 timber.

I don't like drilling into reinforced concrete fence posts. You might cut through a steel reinforcing rod, and you might start a crack. Some posts already have a few holes moulded in, and you can bolt through these to attach a wooden post for your bolts and latches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back