advice on 2 way circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my living room was originally configured for 2 way operation. Sometime (before i moved in) one of the switches was changed to a dimmer. I'd like to move back to 2 way switches. Currently Dimmer works okay - but the other switch has no operation (dimmer works whether this second switch is in either position.

undoing second switch over the weekend, i was surprised to find only 2 connections (basic single gang throw switch), i was expecting to see three ( two wires coming from dimmer, one to light/switch). More worryingly both wires to this switch were live ! - does this indicate a faulty switch or some inventive wiring ?

Sponsored Links
Suggests it was never really 2 way control, but two separate single light fittings (or they abused the earth core to be a second live - not allowed as it is not properly double insulated, but none-the-less a common trick.)
What is at the rose? ?It may be this has been linked out to 'short' the second switch.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply! To be honest, I've not touched the ceiling rose so I can't comment on whats under there - it's a pendant type (chandalier) lamp so the rose is part of the unit - I'll wait until the weekend and have a look.

Can you explain the point about shorting the second switch? - why would they do that @ the rose - depending on the switch position, the live would terminate there and the dimmer works both ways.

Regards

Nick (MW0 JLN)

Sponsored Links
OK, if the switch that is live now at both sides was once in series with the live feed, but they wanted to disable it, then shorting it out would do that, making the light ignore that switch, and it would now appear live at both sides, regardless of rocker position.
I'm assuming all the switch wires converge on the rose - its always possible they don't and there is a joint box somewhere else (quite likely if its a funny fitting - is there a trap or lifting board in the floor above?)
Unless its in conduit, then pulling in a new 3 core and earth cable will be a bit messy whatever is in the rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back