Air conditioning question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just bought one of those portable AC units (half price from Argos) it gets good reviews and I am actually surprised it works really week but it needs venting through a wall or window to work best. The room I intend to use it most is in my converted garage (connected to house). What I propose to do is vent it through an internal wall into our wash room where the dryer is, the dryer is already vented through the wall to outside, is it possible to connect to the flexi pipe that the dryer uses that runs to the outside? I will buy some proper solid pipe work as opposed to the flexi stuff both the AC unit and dryer currently use now. Is my plan sound? Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
What will stop the dryer exhaust venting into the garage when in use? Just give it its own vent.

Hi all,

Just bought one of those portable AC units (half price from Argos) it gets good reviews and I am actually surprised it works really week but it needs venting through a wall or window to work best. The room I intend to use it most is in my converted garage (connected to house). What I propose to do is vent it through an internal wall into our wash room where the dryer is, the dryer is already vented through the wall to outside, is it possible to connect to the flexi pipe that the dryer uses that runs to the outside? I will buy some proper solid pipe work as opposed to the flexi stuff both the AC unit and dryer currently use now. Is my plan sound? Thanks for reading.
No windows?

Sponsored Links
Just bought one of those portable AC units (half price from Argos) it gets good reviews and I am actually surprised it works really week but it needs venting through a wall or window to work best.

Not just to work best, venting them, is the only way they can work. Unvented, they make the environment even warmer. You need to exhaust the heated air, by as short a route as possible, either via a window, or a hole through a wall to outdoors. If you pipe it to another room, it will simply make that one hotter. If you use a window, the window opening needs to be sealed around the pipe, a bit of ply will do that.

Last edited:
I think if you tee into the existing vent it will back pressure the dryer. Personally I would fit a vent into the garage wall for the best performance of the ac unit. You can get a sealing kit that velcros to an open window and the flexible vent seals into. I found they work quite well.

For info having used a portable unit a couple of years ago I had a permanent installation fitted last year. Used it for 2 days recently (during the day only) for about 8 hours and it looks as if it cost us £1 per day. We had the internal doors open and the 2 internal units kept the whole bungalow at a comfortable temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back