alternative to lamp fittings connector boxes

OK. If it's the case that there would be no additional; insulation between the Wagos and 'touchable metal', then you're right - that would no longer qualify as Class II ("double insulated").

As has been said, yes. In terms of electrical common sense, that would be fine (i.e.'safe'). Future eyebrows might be raised by the fact that you had earthed something which bore a Class II marking, and particularly if they knew that the manufacturer's instructions had said that the fitting "must not be earthed", but that would (at least, in my opinion) really be the problem of the owner of the eyebrows ;)

Kind Regards, John
Thanks John, I'll live with any future eyebrows and carry on with wago's and add an earth.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify my comment ref soldering. I mean to lightly twist then solder then cut to length then put into levered Wago's or similar.

If not in an "approved" box then in my opinion the fitting should be inadequately earthed too - I agree that if they can be kept away away from metal sufficiently then some might consider them still class 2 but in reality no, once that one careful person has placed tgem such they can then move later by natural vibration or future meddling , so no.

Sorry, I still don't understand the need for solder. I get your point about fittings that are not gonna move about, but, as a lay person do not understand why one would make stranded core become rigid and more prone to snapping under the insulation.

I am not an electrician, but I recently needed to use Wago 221s. I didn't need to "tin" the wire . I did the "tug" test and it was all good, Am I missing something?

I am not an electrician, but I recently needed to use Wago 221s. I didn't need to "tin" the wire . I did the "tug" test and it was all good, Am I missing something?

The solder, avoids the stray wire problem. but as said - inserted into a screw terminal, the solder can gradually migrate from under the screw, causing an insecure terminal, a point of high resistance, and generation of heat. I think I would be less concerned, if the terminal were of the spring type, like a wago - if the solder migrates, the spring will probably take up the slack.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yup, with flex, I would do a light twist to help encourage each strand to be touching all adjacent strands so minimise movement, the solder to tin them all together, then a lever Wago will , hopefully, have an easy job of keeping tension and you would probably have some similar benefits of treating that flex end as a solid conductor, any movement might cause it to "anchor in" and be a decent joint.
that`s my theory anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back