american appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if American 110v rated appliances will work with our UK mains? The appliance is a projector for a home cinema. If not, how do I get it to work? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I have not got a clue about electricity. :oops:

Sponsored Links
No it will not work if you plug it in to our mains (you can't any way because of the plug) you will need to get an "adaptor/ voltage convertor"

go to your nearest Maplin .take your projetor with you and explain what you want to do.(you should take the projetor as there a a couple of voltage convertors and you must get the right one, too small and the convertor will go bang)

A standard 110 volt transformer can be obtained from Many outlets.
ANY one will solve your problem but be aware you will have to replace all the 110 volt plugs with the correct types for the UK supplied transformer

Sponsored Links
you mean any standard industrial transformer, dont forget the amount of current the appliance will draw

Something not mentioned is that US appliances work at 60Hz not 50Hz. This may cause issues. Also the American TV standard is NTSC and we use PAL which are different although increasingly VCR's etc cope with both. I think that they are strictly 120V and not 110V. Also make sure the VA rating is sufficient for your appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back