american voltage =120v uk 240v. how can i convert

I understand securespark's reasons for making his own system particularly safe. But that carries its own risks. If, and of course it is a very unlikely if, his kids stick their fingers in the socket at home and come to no harm, they might do it somewhere else thinking it was safe...
I suppose I am back onto the point that kids will be living in a world that has lots of dangers and while of course we need to protect them as much as possible we also need to teach them about the real-world risks as early as possible.
Sorry - maybe this is getting too philosophical :confused:
PJ

Sponsored Links
could always use a 'building site style' 110v transformer, much safer for the kid as its a centre tapped earth so 55v to earth..

Thoughts?

David

if there were a problem with switches carrying mains voltages in children's bedrooms then something would have been done about it by now, As far as the lamp is concerned, a step down transformer is probably the only option (although not an ideal solution as explained later) as i wouldn't recommend converting the lamp as you would be modifying it from it's original specification.
Although i don't know what "rigourous" testing an appliance has to go through in the USA in order to gain a certificate for use it may well be within the remit that there is leeway regarding the selection of components that allows for use on lower frequency mains and research woud need to be taken to find out what this certification covers in it's use as it may still be within specs used with the transformed output's frequency being the issue as it changes the results of calculations used in selection of materials. This may not be a lot in practice but could be an issue if the manufacturer in saving costs scraped in at the lower end of acceptable limits in choosing what components they used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back