Annual Service - Flue Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Just had my annual boiler service and it failed due to lack of flue brackets.
I have a single support bracket in the loft and it has been that way for 14 years without complaint. (see pics)
Engineer stated that each section of the flue are considered separate flues, and each require their own support bracket.
This suggest I need an additional 2 brackets!!!

Other than that, the boiler is working fine.

Thoughts please?
.Cheers Doug

1000011522.jpg
1000011521.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not a job I would want to fit additional brackets. Me being on the well built side and need to fit additional straps and additional brackets.
Age the boiler is, won’t be long before boiler will need replaced.
Are the flue sections liable to dislocate and go for a walk as the flue is in present state ( one bracket in place)? Wonder if flue is screwed with additional fixings.

Cannot see the black section on that vertical flue. Wonder if correct flue has been used or fitted correctly

Sponsored Links
The standard rule is on a vertical flue it was 1 bracket every 1.8 metres a number of years ago manufacturers started to say a bracket every section and every change of direction .
So most people fall back onto the every section rule were as in fact it maybe perfectly ok if you still have the original instruction book it may clarify what was actually asked for .
But a bracket is only about 20 quid and takes minutes to fit
The same thing has happened with screwing the joints originally some didnt require it then they put it into instructions years later

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
What do you mean by failed, how was it left?
He left a note stating that the flue needs additional support brackets.
He didn't condemn the installation and said it was ok to use, but was duty bound to mark the following on the worksheet:
Gas Appliance Safe - No - Advised
Flue & Ventilation Flue Safe - No - Advised

Because the flue was marked No, it automatically makes the appliance marked NO

It has been deemed safe for the past 14 years so just wondering if the rules had changed. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back