Another great government plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the government wants to build 600,000 houses in the south east as part of its housing plan. Great idea, full steam ahead.

Some bright spark in the insurance companies has just pointed out to them that the majority of sites they have earmarked are ......wait for it............ON FLOOD PLAINS!!!!

So maybe david blunkett has been picking the sites for them! Will they ever learn????

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
Some bright spark in the insurance companies has just pointed out to them that the majority of sites they have earmarked are ......wait for it............ON FLOOD PLAINS!!!!

This is quite common in my part of the world (Surrey, not the Ganges Delta). Roughly once every 2 or 3 years the Thames level will get high enough to flood those (un)fortunate to have river frontages.

The Thames floodplain is absolutely huge, due to the flatness of the countryside around it. So it could be that whilst a lot of these new houses are on flood plains, they are unlikely to be flooded. My parents technically live on the Thames floodplain, and are right on sea-level (according to the GPS) and therefore slightly below river level, but because they are 2 miles or so from the river they have never ever got flooded.

We live and work in part of that area (East Kent) and are promoting something new for new houses build on the flood plains:

FLOATING Floors ;)

Sponsored Links
No, no.

We install a floor with the floating method (not fixed to the underfloor, but T&G's glued together).
After installation the customer puts his furniture on the floor.

Then, if there is a flood; floor floats leaving all the furniture high and dry ;)

Nothing like a few acres of concrete 'runoff' to promote fresh flood areas .. removing the natural soakaways. ... carry on folks, we are about 200ft (61Mtrs) above sea level --- let it rain, let it rain, let it rain !! ;)

pipme said:
Nothing like a few acres of concrete 'runoff' to promote fresh flood areas .. removing the natural soakaways. ... carry on folks, we are about 200ft (61Mtrs) above sea level --- let it rain, let it rain, let it rain !! ;)

350ft, ha ha ha :evil:

Better to be just elevated enough, rather than too high, all that climbing could be getting one down !! ;)

It is easier to defend from above when all the softies are trying to reach dry land !!

Well shall watch you hurtle past in an immense mud slide followed by Chequers ( ;) ) Tone and Co. :p

Come the floods, I'll be in that little hut on the top of Ben Nevis, if anyone needs me. Reckon the sea-level will rise 4000 feet? :LOL:

I have read that the Thames flood barrier won't be enough for much longer, they are going to have to build new barriers downstream to cope with bigger North Sea Surges.

Years ago I had a house in Ashby-De-La-Zouch. Famous for a prison camp for the frogs (sorry, french). Furthest town from any coastline allegedly so no risk of flooding.
So my advice is buy 10 acres in the S.E, and multi build. Buy 1 acre in ashby and put up a tower block. When the S.E. sinks although Canute, sorry ken livingstone thinks he can stop it you'll have sold 1 person 2 houses. fortune to be made !!
N.B. Back up with diving tours so folk can see "where they used to live"

AdamW said:
Come the floods, I'll be in that little hut on the top of Ben Nevis, if anyone needs me. Reckon the sea-level will rise 4000 feet? :LOL:

I have read that the Thames flood barrier won't be enough for much longer, they are going to have to build new barriers downstream to cope with bigger North Sea Surges.
No-one could accuse you of being pluviophobic or potamaphobic. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back